About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Code Editor - Wish List
Brad_Mclain Offline

Code Editor - Wish List
Just a list of things I have come across when using code editor that I think would be nice.

1. Add existing file option - I discovered you can currently do it through the new file menu but might be useful to have a specific option to avoid confusion.
2. Ability to move script files within project to different folders, can only do it by deleting and adding again inside correct folder using the process mentioned above.
3. Autocomplete for constructors
4. Autocomplete for private methods
5. Colour highlighting in autocomplete to show difference between class names, class variables, function parameters
05-10-2011 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Code Editor - Wish List
2. yeah, in future
3. can you give example?
4. they won't be listed if you can't access them, but if you can, then they will be listed (it's on purpose)
05-10-2011 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brad_Mclain Offline

(05-10-2011 11:26 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  3. can you give example?

I would like the auto complete to work when providing the constructor definition.

(05-10-2011 11:26 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  4. they won't be listed if you can't access them, but if you can, then they will be listed (it's on purpose)

But even when inside the same file where I should be able to see, if I try use autocomplete when providing method definitions only the public methods are listed, private and constructors are missing.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 11:33 AM by Brad_Mclain.)
05-10-2011 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

3 but how?

4 private does not limit access to the same file but to the same class
05-10-2011 11:40 AM
Brad_Mclain Offline

(05-10-2011 11:40 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  3 but how?
Well for example if I have two construtors
class Example
{
public:
Example();
Example(Int);
}

Example.
[autocomplete list]
Example()
Example(Int)
[/autocomplete list]

(05-10-2011 11:40 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  4 private does not limit access to the same file but to the same class
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by this.
05-10-2011 11:45 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

3. ok will work
4. you need to check c++ documentation about private/protected
05-10-2011 01:47 PM
Brad_Mclain Offline

I understand how private and protected works, I am just wondering if its possible that the auto-complete can detect the scope that you are in, ie if inside the source file that defines the class then it should be fine to show private functions but if outside then don't.
Actually interesting to note, if the function has never been defined before then when defining functions you will only see the public methods from the header stub but once defined and compiled, the auto-complete shows both public and private even when viewing from other files.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 01:55 PM by Brad_Mclain.)
05-10-2011 01:49 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

it works correctly and it does detect correct scope
if you have example that it's not working then please show, but I think you're confusing scope of file and scope of class (private/protected work on scope of class - inside functions of that class only, not scope of file)
05-10-2011 01:55 PM
Brad_Mclain Offline

Actually the specific instance I am referring to is when providing function definitions.

Auto-complete will not show the private methods in the header stub, only the public ones. After it has been defined and code compiled they show up in auto-complete as they should.

I can provide an example if it helps clarify what I am referring to.
05-10-2011 02:01 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yes, please
05-10-2011 02:01 PM
Brad_Mclain Offline

Here is the class definition.

Here is the auto-complete when attempting to define the private method's body. Notice the private functions are missing.

Here it is after they have been defined and code compiled, now I can see the private methods in auto-complete.

In fact I can even see them from another class (Should I be able to do this?), of course any attempt to actually use it results in compile error as expected.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 02:14 PM by Brad_Mclain.)
05-10-2011 02:13 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

thanks! I'll check this
05-10-2011 02:51 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

will be fixed in next SDK
05-13-2011 08:46 AM
Dandruff Offline

Would be nice if the code editor has a hotkey to fast comment/uncomment sections of code like in VS: CTRL + K + C and CTRL + K + U.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 02:34 AM by Dandruff.)
07-12-2011 12:21 AM