About Store Forum Documentation Contact

A few questions about developing an MMO using Esenthel
aarong11 Offline

A few questions about developing an MMO using Esenthel
Hi, i've been working as a programmer for a few weeks now on an MMO using the Esenthel engine called Hedron Online (http://www.hedrononline.com/). I have a few questions regarding the using the MMO base code for an actual working title.

1. Is the built in network code robust enough to be used in an MMO? Although initially we only need to be able to support a few players, the server needs to be scalable so that we can potentially support hundreds / thousands of players per server.

2. Is the use of peer to peer networking in multiplayer games really safe? Surely trusting the player to send accurate and unmodified data is a bad thing.

3. Would it be possible to re-write the network code without having the full engine sourcecode? If we were to use Raknet, would it make more sense to start from scratch using Esenthel than using the MMO base?

4. Assuming we did write our own network code, would it be possible to implement clustering without the actual engine code?

5. Is there some way to get access to the engine code without buying an ultimate license? Is there some kind of license inbetween a company and ultimate that gives full code access without the features on request?

6. Regarding future updates to the MMO base, are there any planned? If so, is there somewhere that we can see a list of features that will be implemented? Is there a timeline for the release of such features?
05-11-2011 02:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: A few questions about developing an MMO using Esenthel
2. Peer-to-Peer alone for everything should not be done for any games IMO except if it's only for learning purpose of the Peer-to-Peer method, MMO's usually use multiple methods. server-client, Peer-to-Peer etc

3. Yes it is possible to write your own from scratch.
4. Yes it is possible to do so.
5. No(Maybe?) most likely no.
6. the roadmap lists

update MMO Demo:
Player vs Player Combat
Items on Ground
NPC
Monsters
Player vs AI Combat
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 02:30 AM by Zervox.)
05-11-2011 02:28 AM
Seba Offline

I dont try this but whay not to write your own serwer using only c/c++ and let say raknet? I don't know if this will work but it should, or it is to simple idea? If it will work you can run server on linux.
05-11-2011 08:27 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1. Ineisis online is based on similar networking. Once it's released you'll be able to see how many players it can support
05-11-2011 11:31 AM
impi Offline

(05-11-2011 11:31 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  1. Ineisis online is based on similar networking. Once it's released you'll be able to see how many players it can support
Were any tests carried out with Ineisis online re how many simultaneous active players in a world / server with good response (with physics)? If so, is there any data online about that?
11-26-2011 04:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Simulatenously online there were only around 10 people so it's not enough to measure server performance.
But even then CPU usage was 0% according to Task Manager.
I expect it to handle hundreds easily, I think thousands too but that would require gathering many testers.
ineisis server doesn't use physics - it's done on the client.
11-26-2011 05:52 PM
impi Offline

Thanks for the reply.
Yes 10 people is more like a multiplayer game than MMO.

Are you planning any more testing? Its important for customers to have a realistic expectation of what they can expect so they can plan their way forward, and design to suit.

Also : Server physics makes a huge performance difference on resources, so it will be nice to have some sort of base reference with some server side logic enabled, perhaps some physics and NPC paths etc.

It would be pretty rare to see modern games released with only client physics.
11-28-2011 01:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hendrik44 Offline

may I ask somethink about Ineisi...?

I read in wiki, that ineisis is using MS SQL,...
But you know, MS SQL is expensive for common people like me,
so can I using MySQL for my Data Base ?
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 09:54 AM by hendrik44.)
12-13-2012 09:54 AM
Zervox Offline

Microsoft SQL Express is free, and yes you can use MySQL, EE SQL class includes MS SQL, MySQL, SQLite.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 10:18 AM by Zervox.)
12-13-2012 10:18 AM
hendrik44 Offline

oh that make me relieved,

if MySQL that mean I Can easily make Register Page in the website using PHP...

thank you so much...
12-13-2012 10:48 AM