About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Chaplain's game questions
Sarora Offline

Re: Chaplain's game questions
You should look in the tutorials folder, and open the file there in VS 2008 (well, thats what i use anyways).

Once opened, you can remove the "00 - Start.cpp"

You can then add things like

\Advanced\2 - Animation, Physics, Rendering\Rendering\04 - Suns.cpp

And compile, and see the sun things, and mess around with it.

I can tell you this though, if you dont read up on stuff, and just play around with it (does not matter if you break something, just reinstall it), if you dont do that, you will have about 7-8000 questions more to come smile

I dont mind answering questions, i dont think anyone does, but its just ALOT quicker if you check out all source sample, and PLAY around with them, as said, if you break something, just reinstall, but then you learned that smile

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
07-02-2009 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chaplaindm Offline

Sarona,

I understand what you are talkin about. I have already opened it and changed the parameters.

I am also going through online C++ tutorials to learn how some of this works.

The reason I am asking so many questions this week is that I have a LOT OF TIME! I am working in the engine about 6 hours a day. Next week I get busier at work and will cut down! grin

My question was how to add the code to my current world. In other words, where is the source code for my current world so I modify it and add the sun/ sky?

Make sense?

Hey, at least I don't add a new thread for every question!!!! lol

Chaplain
07-02-2009 06:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

please take a look at Suns.New() and Sky.set in the tutorials
07-02-2009 06:57 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

[Image: house2.jpg]

Latest screenshot after learning to use Alpha maps for the trees.

Next I am going to try and code the sky and clouds and add more detail to the scene!

Chaplain
07-02-2009 10:54 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

looks very promising, keep up smile
07-02-2009 11:22 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

I am able to start importing objects and working the terrain. Here is another screenshot to look at.

[Image: 0_op_640x359.jpg]

I am running into a problem though. When I import objects, I have trouble controlling them. A small movement on my mouse sends objects flying all over the screen. It is not so bad on the mountains, but I am trying to build a fence around a wheat field. I have tried snapping to the grid and various things but I can'g get the ends to but up. Any advice?

Chaplain
07-08-2009 03:49 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you can use the "top" or "isometric" camera view (not from a side)
you can also zoom in so movement will be slower (this works in non FPP camera view mode, but i dont remember if also in FPP mode too, ill check it)

if youll still have some problems maybe you could record a video so i could see it
07-08-2009 11:18 AM
Chaplaindm Offline

It worked pretty good. I lowered the grid spacing and snapped the fence pieces to the grid. There is a little overlap but all in all it looks pretty good.

I am coming to the place where I will need to place items on tables and things like that. I will create collision meshes for the objects but how do I place them there? I can use the hotkey to raise objects up but how do I apply phisics so the items do not fall through the table?

Thanks!
Chaplain
07-08-2009 04:30 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

for those are physical bodies
you set them in mesh editor (phys mode)
then in the world editor you specify the phys for an object in its properties window (just like mesh)
07-08-2009 05:34 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

Another question, is it possible in the World Editor to turn around in place. Let me give you an example of why I am asking this. I was arranging some items in a small lean to. I needed to move something from the back wall to the right wall. However, I had to zoom was out, turn about the tile, and them used the mouse wheel/ space bar to come back in. It is a pretty long process. It would be much easier to simple turn in place.

Any ideas?
Chaplain
07-13-2009 01:36 PM
Sarora Offline

hit <TAB> to switch camera for easy control (Fpp).

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
07-13-2009 02:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chaplaindm Offline

Thanks! I will give it a try.

Chaplain
07-13-2009 04:18 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

A couple of questions>

First, I need some clarification of getting the leaves on my trees to move like the grass. I was under the impression that the leaves would not move unless the world was built first. However, I am using grass in the world editor and it is moving. If I attached the leaves correctly, should they also move in the World Editor?

Secondly, I am to the stage where I want to add water. Does the engine support a waterfall particle like effect?

Thank You,
Chaplain
07-16-2009 03:47 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you need to set the leafs bending effect in the mesh editor, and then you'll see that it works
-material technique to MTECH_LEAF
-menu\material\set leaf attachment positions

yes you can create waterfall particle like effect
07-16-2009 04:11 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

Thanks for the reply.

I am working on creating a dungeon underneath a broken crypt. See below...

[Image: 7.jpg]

First, I already the dungeon built in 3 parts. I was going to use a spot on the other side of the mountains and just port the character there. In order to do this, I would need to create something for the character to step into that would alert him he was going to be ported somewhere (think of the doorways in Lord of the Rings Online). I thought about using a preexisting wall with the glow turned up, then laying it down on the grass so the character would get the feel they were stepping down into it.

Am I on the right track?

I would appreciate any input.

Chaplain
07-17-2009 01:36 PM