About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Seeing far
axeves Offline

Seeing far
I know Esenthel supports unlimited sized terrains, but is it possible to actually see far in esenthel?

Like if i was standing on a mountain, maybe 1km up and looking around me.

Is that possible or do still have to create huge levels?
06-20-2011 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaveTs Offline

RE: Seeing far
D.viewrange(x);

But keep in mind that as much as you increase the distance more resources will require the game.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2011 10:04 PM by DaveTs.)
06-20-2011 10:02 PM
axeves Offline

Thats what i meant, is there a way too see far efficiently? Like in the Operation Flashpoint games? Or in ArmA?
06-21-2011 09:07 PM
kulesz Offline

For example you can use models with various LOD or billboards (for plants and trees).
06-21-2011 10:33 PM
Tottel Offline

Design your level efficiently as well. The engine will only render what you can see. If you place some high mountains, it will not render what's behind there. If you make a huge, flat world, filled with objects and lights.. That might get a bit heavy on your performance if your viewrange is high.
06-21-2011 11:06 PM
Zervox Offline

It does render things behind terrain, it is only preventing things outside of viewrange and view field(camera view).
If the objects had been hidden/occluded it would've been visible in wireframe(eg occlusion culling) this is also the fact with interiors in EE atm that it is basically rendering everything in the view range even throughout 1000x rooms across, visible or not to the camera.
06-22-2011 04:31 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Not exactly. Models will be rendered but they will be occluded by depth buffer. So pixel shaders won't get executed
06-22-2011 10:34 AM