About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Is this engine for me???
Fox Mulder Offline

Is this engine for me???
Hi everyone,
Im the new guy and Im hunting for the best engine for my purposes.

I need a angine for a mainstream First Person Shooter Multiplayer game - nothing spezial but up to 24 -32 players on one dedicated server. It is needless to say that data has to be tranfer very quickly. As long as I read here, I cant figure it out - it seems to be a MMO engine, but its maybe a big mistake.

Second I need extenive use of indoor gameplay, again my first impression is that its more for outdoor maps but its maybe a big mistake too.
So I hope u can help me honestly.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 01:30 PM by Fox Mulder.)
06-22-2011 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaveTs Offline

RE: Is this engine for me???
First of all, whats your programing experience? Mind that Esenthel has no scripting lang, you need good knowledge about c++ language.

About your questions. Well after using esenthel for barelly 3 months, i can say this engine is very adaptative, so you will be able to develop the kind of game you want.

For indoors maps - as you call it grin - just use 3D models and you will have your indoor map. If you plan to create a game for up to 32 players the surface won't be that big, so the overall performance shoudl be good.

Greetings.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 01:47 PM by DaveTs.)
06-22-2011 01:42 PM
Tottel Offline

You can definitely make the game you describe with Esenthel, but as Dave said: it's purely C++.
You can check the "Bloody Massacre" tech-demo to check an FPS-example.
Then there is the Benchmark-demo, which shows you FPS + a sci-fi interior.
And the other demos show interiors as well (mainly dungeons).

On the other hand, you will have to do quite some programming to make it multiplayer.

So, as a conclusion: If you don't have programming experience, and you don't have a programmer to help you, this engine won't be for you unless you find one.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 02:01 PM by Tottel.)
06-22-2011 01:59 PM
Fox Mulder Offline

My C++ is very good.(should be 10 years now I started learn it)
I have some experiences on programming with engines. Years ago I tried to create one by myself but I failded with it.
Lol you bring me to laughlol - Its very clear that I should use 3d models for my indoor maps, but how handling in the worldEditor with it and how is the scene optimization for such maps(levels)? I mean is the scene manager optimized for this purpose?
In fact I need outdoor scenes too.

Sorry my missleading on last post I should be more specific with it.
I know its possible to fit an engine to my needs but Im going to spend money on it not to do things like that, at least not on big scale like implement a new network library.

But thx for reply.

@Tottel what do u mean with:"On the other hand, you will have to do quite some programming to make it multiplayer."
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 02:17 PM by Fox Mulder.)
06-22-2011 02:14 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

EE has base classes for networking, socket, server, client class, client neighbors management, etc. there are tutorials in EE SDK, and Esenthel MMO.
you just need to use them manually for exchanging messages between client/server.
06-22-2011 02:32 PM
Fox Mulder Offline

Ok thx, I will give it a try.
06-22-2011 02:33 PM