About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Modular Worlds
runewake2 Offline

Modular Worlds
The game I am working on is based indoors with many caverns, caves etc. Very little of the game will take place outside.

What I want to do is create a set of graphic models that I can then use to make most or all of my game world. However, I am confused as to how I should be doing this. Should I make a full module with floor, walls and ceiling? Or should I make 3 separate models for the floor, the wall and the ceiling? Also, many of the walls will include pipes, fans, lights etc. Should those be added directly to the wall or as another piece?

Has anyone here done this before? If so, what was the best way you found to create this?

Also, how will I be able to place the pieces next to each other to create a seamless world?

My desired effect is similar to those of the Descent games.

[Image: Descent3level4Start.gif]

This was helpful: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Thre...Design.pdf
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2011 07:09 PM by runewake2.)
06-26-2011 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Modular Worlds
Quote:Also, how will I be able to place the pieces next to each other to create a seamless world?
make your objects with constant size (like 5 meters)
and in the editor set object grid to 5 beters

Quote:Has anyone here done this before? If so, what was the best way you found to create this?
ERPG2 dungeon is built like that. from pieces. each piece has floor+ceiling+optional walls in 1 mesh
06-26-2011 06:35 PM
runewake2 Offline

If I do the one piece method. Will I have to use the more advanced physics? Or would it be a better idea to use a series of Planes, Cubes and Spheres?
06-26-2011 07:01 PM
ghreef Offline

rune - I just did this. create the different sections. Make sure they can be matched up easily and create physics in model editor. For instance, I was creating a catacombs scene. I created a:
Straight tunnel
turn left
turn right
t intersection
4 way intersection
stairs
small room
medium room
large room
great room
foyer
.. and about 4 other specialized types of room for the game I am making. Then i textured them and brought them into E model editor. BIG HINT - change to orthagonal view to make physics creation not a completely insane effort, creat physics for each room, then you can build the whole complex from those piece in world editor. It took me all told about 15 hours or so to do it all nice. Now I'm just getting lighting right and my MOBs in there. Having tried the larger approach, this is way easier.
06-29-2011 02:00 AM
runewake2 Offline

Yeah, I have finished building my models. It includes a good length of pipe sections and hallways. I am terrible at texturing so I'll probably find an artist that wants to do it. I think I have it all figured out now. I'll post any other questions I have later.

I linked to a helpful article in my first post. It was pretty helpful.
07-01-2011 06:50 AM