About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Changing the Renderer to openGL in the Windows SDK
sythe Offline

Changing the Renderer to openGL in the Windows SDK
Allow changing the renderer to openGL from DirectX in the Windows SDK.
This would probably let the SDK run properly under WINE on Linux, and is doable.
Blizzard Entertainment does this with their games.
07-07-2011 07:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Truelegend Offline

RE: Changing the Renderer to openGL in the Windows SDK
OpenGL is just for Mac. and OpenGL ES for iPhone/iPad smile And DirectX is better smile. EE is not for linux pfft
07-08-2011 07:34 AM
Dynad Offline

(07-08-2011 07:34 AM)Truelegend Wrote:  OpenGL is just for Mac. and OpenGL ES for iPhone/iPad smile And DirectX is better smile. EE is not for linux pfft

Ehm? OpenGL is not for Mac.. its a standard specification defining a cross-language, cross-platform API which does almost the same thing like DirectX does. DirectX is not better at all.. since it works only on Windows.. and openGL works on every major platform out there.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
07-08-2011 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Truelegend Offline

I know OpenGL is not just for mac ;/. But in Esenthel Engine it is just for Mac!

And DirectX is better for Windows so is not point to use OpenGL in Windows pfft
07-08-2011 10:22 AM
sythe Offline

(07-08-2011 10:22 AM)Truelegend Wrote:  I know OpenGL is not just for mac ;/. But in Esenthel Engine it is just for Mac!

And DirectX is better for Windows so is not point to use OpenGL in Windows pfft

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
It would be an OPTION to enable OpenGL in the Windows version.
07-08-2011 12:53 PM
Harry Offline

I think that DirectX isn't better for Windows. In some operations OpenGL is faster. And the main advantage of OpenGL is that applications made on it could be open in Mac Linux and even Windows.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 12:57 PM by Harry.)
07-08-2011 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rofar Offline

Unless the engine is coded from the beginning to support multiple graphic API's, it would require a major overhaul to include the option.

Just making the statement. This is a feature request forum and any request is valid and is not up to the community to determine it's worth.
07-08-2011 10:58 PM
sythe Offline

(07-08-2011 10:58 PM)Rofar Wrote:  Unless the engine is coded from the beginning to support multiple graphic API's, it would require a major overhaul to include the option.

Just making the statement. This is a feature request forum and any request is valid and is not up to the community to determine it's worth.

It does support both APIs.
That's why it runs on OSX. In fact, it uses a proprietary fork of OGRE3D, so it definitely can run on Linux.
07-08-2011 11:34 PM
Rofar Offline

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to point out how useless it was for me to make that statement in this forum smile Accept my apology for a partly useless post.

The second part of my post still stands though. In my opinion, a feature request post should not be commented on by community members. I feel like it would make people hesitant to post a request if they think there will be backlash by members. The developer should be the only one responding and then others chime in only if the developer asks for others thoughts. However, this is just my opinion for what it's worth smile
07-08-2011 11:48 PM