About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[Solved] Skybox in World Editor
fatcoder Offline

[Solved] Skybox in World Editor
For some reason the skybox in the WE doesn't seem to work. If I set Skybox 1 to skybox.jpg (which is included in the engine Data folder), the sky turns black and doesn't show the skybox. I've tried setting both Skybox 1 and 2. Does this work for anyone else or is it a bug in the WE?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2011 03:40 AM by fatcoder.)
07-15-2011 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Harry Offline

RE: Skybox in World Editor
Check if you have set proper layered clouds textures. I had similar problem and the reason is because I had loaded images for clouds which doesn't exist anymore.
07-15-2011 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

Yeah, I already checked that. Makes no difference, even if you switch clouds off. I think it might be a bug in the WE with skyboxes.
07-16-2011 12:20 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

try GFX texture (skybox created using Converter), not JPG
07-16-2011 01:12 PM
fatcoder Offline

Makes no difference. As soon as I set any GFX, JPG, PNG, etc. into the Skybox 1 or 2 slots, the sky goes black.

It works fine in my game, in my code, and I'm setting a JPG in my code. So the WE should be able to take a JPG too as I assume the WE would use the same code to set a skybox as I'm using in my game.
07-17-2011 12:53 AM
Harry Offline

Don't use .jpg because .gfx is faster for engine. Maybe send your .jpg file and I'll check it on my computer.
07-17-2011 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

I only used a jpg as that is what the skybox tutorial uses. I've tried using both a jpg and a gfx file in the WE. I'm testing with the skybox.jpg file that comes in the EE Data folder. So it isn't my own file. You can find it in th Gfx/Sky folder. Try setting it as your skybox in the WE and see if you get a black sky.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2011 02:41 AM by fatcoder.)
07-19-2011 02:41 AM
Harry Offline

For .jpg I have black sky byut when I convert it in Converter it works. I think that Editor doesn't take formats oter than .gfx except the Material Editor part.
07-19-2011 10:24 AM
fatcoder Offline

Doesn't work for me. I tried running the jpg through the converter and set the gfx file as the skybox, but still get a black sky in the WE. Did you change any other settings when converting or in the sky settings?
07-19-2011 11:22 AM
Harry Offline

No I don't. I add .gfx which i create with Converter. Try it.

Attached File(s)
.rar  skybox.rar (Size: 689.12 KB / Downloads: 10)
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2011 03:54 PM by Harry.)
07-19-2011 03:45 PM
fatcoder Offline

Thanks for your effort Harry, but still no good. I even tried using a fresh SDK download, using the editor with the SDK Data folder.

I tried it on my laptop and I don't get the black sky, but the skybox doesn't look right either. It looks like it is repeating the entire skybox image for all six sides.

Funny how this works perfect in my code on both computers, but the WE screws it up.
07-20-2011 02:53 AM
Harry Offline

So I don't know what is the reason. Maybe something with drivers...
07-20-2011 05:33 PM
ID0 Offline

I had same problem, and now even worse, editor just crash when i try load skybox.
07-20-2011 06:34 PM
Driklyn Offline

(07-20-2011 02:53 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  I tried it on my laptop and I don't get the black sky, but the skybox doesn't look right either. It looks like it is repeating the entire skybox image for all six sides.

Same for me (on my desktop). It's only rendering 1 face of the cubemap, when it's as a GFX. As a JPG, the sky is completely black (for me).
07-20-2011 07:15 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

setting skybox in editor currently supports only GFX files (bmp/jpg/.. wont work)
Harry's file is incorrect (it's 2d texture)
when importing into Converter, you need to select "cubemap" option
here is the correct gfx

Attached File(s)
.rar  ok.rar (Size: 478.98 KB / Downloads: 16)
07-21-2011 12:36 PM