About Store Forum Documentation Contact

custom server side engine
snacktime Offline

custom server side engine
I'm working on an extensible/modular server framework for mmo's that can be used by any client side engine. So far I've been using non graphical clients for testing, but I want to now move to using a real client side engine.

The engine I am working on is massively scaleable. It can support things like expensive server side physics/coordinate systems with thousands of players in the same area.

I'm looking for my first client side engine to plug into what I have, so I can have a complete end to end playable proof of concept.

With Esenthel, can I plug in my own networking code and provide the server side functionality myself?
04-15-2013 12:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fex Offline
Gold Supporter

RE: custom server side engine
Of course you can, but you are going to have to write your own frontend to work with Esenthel's network classes (so you will need atleast a directx esenthel frontend on your server). Or you will need to write your own network layer or use a middleware.

I am assuming you don't want to require directx on your server, since you sound pretty advanced, and because so little of esenthel's network layer is exposed you are probably better looking at the Raknet tutorials.

I wrote a server backend in Erlang that scaled horizontally in about three months, now I have slogged through client side stuff for over a year in EE. I always thought the server side was the intellectually demanding part, I have found out I was wrong...

good luck
04-15-2013 01:58 AM
cmontiel Offline

RE: custom server side engine
(04-15-2013 12:50 AM)snacktime Wrote:  With Esenthel, can I plug in my own networking code and provide the server side functionality myself?

Yes , and fex, directx is not required to work with esenthel. My EE server doesn't instantiate directx.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
04-15-2013 03:11 AM