About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Access to World by server / world streaming
Gian-Reto Offline

Access to World by server / world streaming
I have 2 questions concerning the Esenthel MMO/Server code, but also concerning the client:

1) is it possible somehow to use the built game world as "logical world model" on the server? So that the server can do most gamelogic, like checking line of sight, elevation of a model in game, terrain a model is in, and all.

I would really like to move these kind of checks off the client, as it would not only make cheating harder and free up resources on the client, but also would make writing these kind of things easier (I think).

2) Is it possible to stream the the world from the server?

The world streaming features are already there in the client part, so is it possible to stream the data from a server instead of the local disk?
Is this already implemented, or would I have to do it on my own if I buy a license?

Thanks for the information.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2011 09:51 AM by Gian-Reto.)
07-23-2011 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Access to World by server / world streaming
1) actually it's easier to be done on the client, and also the priority is to offload the server, because it does the most work. priority is so it can support greatest amount of players, so the less you could do on the server the better.
but yeah you can do it on the server, just manually load some world meshes.
however physics supports only 1 scene at a time (1 world)
but if you use meshes, they are processed independently of the physics, so you can have multiple worlds loaded

2) run Ineisis Online
you can do it, it's not built-in, but it's simple to do, just send heightmap data through Connection to the client
07-23-2011 01:14 PM
Gian-Reto Offline

1) okay, yeah I'm aware that it might not be such a good idea, but as (almost) everything needs to be verified on the server, I thought I just do it there... I think all I would like to have is access to the "world", so that I don't need to create a second logical "model" from it... I don't think physics are needed there though. The small amount of sanity checking needed to prevent someone cheating by hampering with the physics system can be done with simple math algorithms I guess.
And to check line of sight, elevations and this kind of things all I need is the mesh represantation.

If this really is a good idea, I don't know.... I just seemed logical to me.

2) Okay, is there a Source code example for that included with the company license? It sounded simple to implement, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the fast answer
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2011 02:53 PM by Gian-Reto.)
07-23-2011 02:52 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

2) Ineisis Lite will have this, it's on the roadmap - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=1507
07-23-2011 09:53 PM