About Store Forum Documentation Contact

base.gfx issue with material import (solved - but strange)
ghreef Offline

base.gfx issue with material import (solved - but strange)
I've been working on importing all of my DAE files into editor. As an example, I have a player avatar that has 6 parts: head, body, arms, hands, legs, feet. Each part has it's own jpg file for the material. When I drag drop the dae into editor, I get the mesh file I want. The issue is on material application. When I follow the video tutorial, create a new material file, drag say head.jpg into material window, I get the material. I overwrite to head.mtrl BUT it creates that file AND a base.gfx file. It seems whatever material I create last, that overwrites the base.gfx, and the whole model (all 6 parts) get that one material, even though the material for the other parts say the correct name. What's up with that?

see screenshot in attached file.

Attached File(s)
.docx  screenshot.docx (Size: 473.48 KB / Downloads: 1)
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2011 06:52 PM by ghreef.)
07-27-2011 04:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Driklyn Offline

RE: base.gfx issue with material import
Use "File > New" on the Material window to create a new material.

Also, typically, you would use 1 texture for all parts of a character mesh, not 6. It's more efficient this way.
07-27-2011 05:19 AM
ghreef Offline

I will try file new although the online video tutorial does not. It only clicks on the new button in the material editor screen.

I don't agree that one material for the whole mesh, especially of a player is more efficient. Having the material broken up like this, I can mask different clothing, skin colors, facial features, tattoos all on the same mesh, just by changing the material file in code. Thoughts?
07-27-2011 12:29 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

if you drag 'head.jpg' then only head.gfx should be generated
1 texture is more efficient performance wise
multiple textures are more flexible for character customization.
07-27-2011 01:16 PM
ghreef Offline

Esenthel,
I drag head, and it creates a head.mtrl, but it overwrites the base.gfx file. All six materials overwrite the base.gfx while creating their own .mtrl file. Any clues there?
07-27-2011 02:29 PM
ghreef Offline

Update: For some reason, if I export the model with materials from 3DS max through Open Collada exporter to a dae, and use the files that come with that to create the materials, it all overwrites the base.gfx. However, if I take the source jpg files and copy them over in Windows explorer, and create materials straight from them through material editor, each file creates it's own .gfx file. Then I can apply them to the correct parts of the mesh. Odd behavior, but simplifying the method created a fix that works. Might be some odd bug between my version of 3Ds, open collada and E:editor.

Thanks for the input all. Not sure how to rank this one, but I'll put it as solved since I can move forward.
07-27-2011 06:52 PM