About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
158$/mo

Client / Server communication
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Client / Server communication
Seeing the client/server tutorial, I have a simple question that I hope someone might have the answer to.

Viewing from code, it looks like the server sends data to all connected clients what each of the client does. What if the client is not within perception? Does the client still get packets from other clients not within his perception? What about clients from another world (instances)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
07-31-2011 04:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

RE: Client / Server communication
Does anyone have an idea? Is the client broadcast related to the how the world manager works (active, inactive, etc)? I just want to confirm that not all client communication is sent to everyone regardless of location or instance.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
07-31-2011 07:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't tested it, but I would say that it sends to all connected clients regardless of where they are in the world. The text at the top of "Connection - Server.cpp" pretty much says it all.

This tutorial presents a sample ConnectionServer,
which receives data from clients, and then sends the same data to all other clients.

Note the "all" that I have underlined.
08-01-2011 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

I really was hoping this isn't the case and I'm somewhat disappointed. Has anyone else implemented the client/server code? How chatty did it get with maybe 100 users connected?

www.thinkplaystudios.com
08-02-2011 03:42 AM
fatcoder Offline

If you want 100 connected users, then you would probably want to investigate the MMO code that comes with the purchased license. I haven't seen it, but I would assume that it does what you need.

This client/server code is really only designed for typical multiplayer games where you might have 16 or even 32 players connected at once.
08-02-2011 07:58 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Esenthel MMO handles sending data only to clients within the same range.
08-02-2011 12:38 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

This is great news. Thank you very much for clarifying.

Is there a spec list somewhere that enumerates the additional features that the MMO licensed code provide? I would like to learn a bit more about what's implemented in the MMO version of the code?

Thank you very.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
08-02-2011 03:52 PM
kulesz Offline

Generally, most things from the "Builtin MMO Functionality" point here:

http://www.esenthel.com/?id=feature/network
08-03-2011 07:11 AM