About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Maya 2012
dragonfly3 Offline

Maya 2012
Wasn't sure where to put this but I just figured it might be helpful to know that you don't need a plugin to export skeletons and animation with Maya 2012. I got 2012 and the plugins aren't compatible with it so I figured I'd try it without one and it exported everything great (so far...hopefully it continues to do so lol). So I just wanted to pass along this little tidbit to everyone else.smile
08-09-2011 05:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Maya 2012
Thanks for sharing, you can always install latest 2012 DAE/FBX export plugins to older Max/Maya (like 2011, 2010, .. )
from this page - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/...d=10775855
08-09-2011 12:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JayJay Offline

You can download and use Maya and 3ds Max for free if you are a student.

Download
http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

Note
Quote:Are there restrictions on functionality of the software that I get on the Education Community?
No. The software you get from the Autodesk Education Community is the full-featured, sophisticated software used by professionals all around the world. However, there may be a watermark on output that indicates the design was created using an Educational copy and was not purchased for legal Commercial use.
08-16-2011 12:19 AM
runewake2 Offline

I did not know that! I guess I can upgrade from Blender now.
08-16-2011 08:57 PM
ghreef Offline

yes - Maya 2012 is good stuff - I agree. I am making the shift from 3dsmax.

thanks dragonfly!
08-18-2011 06:58 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

I have had some messages from people asking me about implementing imported maya model animations and using them in-game. We have been working with this for quite awhile and have finally perfected it and have tested the animation.

One of my amazing programmers created a little program we call a model loader with & for Esenthel. This model loader will load models from the chr folder and play animations. It is set up in a simple mini game world so as to test animations in a game atmosphere before implementing them into the game (so we can avoid bugs and other issues).

Here is a video of our Model Loader and 3 model animations of Maya model/skeleton/animation combination imports we have done. The 3rd is of a lizard person and is not a true and final animation sequence so please don't point out the obvious about how the arm looks deformed and distorted. We know this. This was a simple and quick test animation to make sure we had the proper import settings. Our animator is getting ready to create a full set of player character animations now that we have it working correctly. The other two models still need textures but you get the idea.

Just wanted to share the visual of how it is possible to export/import fully skinned, rigged, and animated models from Maya into Esenthel and have them work properly in-game. Also wanted to share the nifty little program our team created to test our animations.

If the video is too small for you to see you can see it here:
http://youtu.be/o1B2DOKsG08
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2011 06:36 AM by dragonfly3.)
12-24-2011 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply