About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Poll: Community Project: Yes or No?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Community Project
Dwight Offline

Community Project
Dear all,

I have looked for a community project in here, but I cannot seem to find one...

Im also semi-active on other forums (on which I am mostly invisible grin ), and I have seen some "community projects" of which some are actually getting somewhere!

So just out of curiosity, would you be interested in creating a Community Project* and therewith create something with the involved members of the community?

*Something like an online FPS or MMORPG, or just a single player shooter, or derivatives hereof.

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
09-04-2011 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Community Project
That could work, but I think most people are already using Esenthel to create something for their own.

A community project would be handy to get some more code snippets and tutorials on the wiki though. smile
09-04-2011 06:46 PM
llynx Offline

This is actually....... a really good idea.
09-04-2011 09:25 PM
Brad_Mclain Offline

I think its a very good idea, great way to get more documentation and tutorials happening, as well as some potentially free assets for people to use when prototyping things in the engine.
09-05-2011 04:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

Although it would be great to have more tuts & wiki info, I, like most of us, am far too busy working pn my own game and just wouldn't have time. I ditto what Tottel said.
09-05-2011 05:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Driklyn Offline

I've actually been thinking about this for a while now, but never suggested it because I figured people would be too busy with their own projects to really contribute to it. Guess it's not a bad idea to at least start something though. It's not like there needs to be a strict time schedule to it, people can just help when they can.
09-05-2011 07:53 AM
Dwight Offline

And what kind of thing, you think, should be started? And what are you willing to do for such a project, or are willing to contribute?

Perhaps Esenthel himself is also interested in doing something together with the involved members of the community? When it comes to design, there is no better IMHO smile

I saw that the MMO alpha test was a semi-nice test grin

09-05-2011 10:11 AM
Tottel Offline

Hehe, just the setting of the game might tear the community apart already. wink

First, we should probably agree on some licenses. Can the code be used in other projects? What about the models and textures? All available for everyone?

Also, Esenthel is a busy man. I doubt he'll have time for this, but it never hurts to ask.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011 10:16 AM by Tottel.)
09-05-2011 10:16 AM
Dwight Offline

(09-05-2011 10:16 AM)Tottel Wrote:  Hehe, just the setting of the game might tear the community apart already. wink
I have been doing some thinking, and I got something that could maybe satisfy a big part of the community. It includes Ineisis, Pirates of the Carribean (movie, not the game, mind you), First Person shooting and semi-fantasy... With a finishing touch of One Piece.

Quote:First, we should probably agree on some licenses. Can the code be used in other projects? What about the models and textures? All available for everyone?

Or just an income generator for the involved members? And big parts of the source for the licensee's of Esenthel, or just everyone...

Quote:Also, Esenthel is a busy man. I doubt he'll have time for this, but it never hurts to ask.
I always like to ask directly, as it also gives you clear answers! So you know where you stand grin

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011 10:59 AM by Dwight.)
09-05-2011 10:26 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I don't think I'll be able to find the time, but good luck smile
09-05-2011 10:41 AM
Tottel Offline

Income generator probably won't work out that well. Most likely, people join, work a bit on it and some people will quit. How do you distribute the income then? And where does the income come from? grin

As for the license, I don't know. I think it'd be nice to make the code open-source; but if you give the models as well, you'll see the same models and textures in (maybe) dozens of (non-)Esenthel games.

Feel free to start a new thread about this project and put your ideas there. smile

Also, discussing this in the IRC-Channel could be handy. Check my signature.
09-05-2011 11:16 AM
Seba Offline

We should make source code, open source and models free to use in free games on Esenthel engine. But better idea is to use free models and make some parts of game. Also make tutorials, some future from the list. If we want to create game it should be easy and short. We can take and rewrite BM to play on internet, or maybe someone need tutorial or source code to the game.
09-05-2011 10:09 PM
Zervox Offline

If simple FPS multiplayer with join-drop-quit Client is server and Players connect to each other, maybe my Replica Network source code in the Raknet Tutorial Pack might help(give ideas)(although I am unsure if it works with multiple external connections as it was made for LAN detection).

Just thought I'd throw it out there.
09-05-2011 11:15 PM
joacorock Offline

Im in (as a coder), I have a lot of free time right now.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2011 02:15 AM by joacorock.)
09-06-2011 02:15 AM
runewake2 Offline

I would lose this, it would give me a great way to learn some more about coding a large scale project, and see how the entire thing worked. As I have only done small projects in Esenthel I'm not sure how much help I could be as a coder (my C++ is limited at best), however, this would be a great way to learn!

I've got the time.

Also, I've seen something like this on the GMC (Game Maker Community: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?s=213...forum=54), it has received a lot of help from all over.

I would love to do a 3D FPS (Maybe a 6DoF game, not enough of those), but anything would be cool. I have really easy classes this semester and only one project right now, so I have some time to spare.

Also, if we're serious about this a separate forum may be in order (Or separate site altogether). Otherwise, topics will get lost.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2011 03:40 AM by runewake2.)
09-06-2011 03:30 AM