3D Pathfinding
Zervox Offline

RE: 3D Pathfinding
Oh my, that is HUGE for 3D pathfinding. smile
09-29-2011 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

256x256!!! Anyone trying to path an NPC that far across their game world has serious problems with their game logic! hehehe lol

I'm really looking forward to being able to throw my implementation out and use the built-in system. Any chance of getting temporary objects working with it too so the navmesh can be dynamically modified.
09-29-2011 05:57 PM
Zervox Offline

Have to read the roadmap fatcoder pfft he updated adding dynamic obstacles after adding the last screenshot, and it seems he is done with poly status flags for grass/water etc also. wink
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2011 06:05 PM by Zervox.)
09-29-2011 06:04 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

simultaneous water / ground path searching is ready smile
what's left to do is:
-dynamic obstacles (haven't investigated it yet)
-testing
09-29-2011 06:48 PM
fatcoder Offline

I haven't tried out the poly status flag stuff in recast, but I assume it can be used to give weight for the agents to follow certain paths over others. For example, if you have a footpath in the game world that goes around a hill. In real life, people are more likely to walk along the footpath to get to their destination rather than just walk up and over the hill, even though the footpath would be longer.

How do you define these poly flags on the terrain for example, and can they be changed dynamically?? For example, if a new footpath appears on the terrain, the agents should give preference to following it, rather than walking across rough ground.
09-29-2011 11:26 PM
Zervox Offline

No I believe that is what Recast Convex Volumes are for
status flags from what I know is for settings polys to unwalkable/walkable states without having to rebuild the navmesh.
09-30-2011 01:10 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

temporary obstacles from 'Shape' class

adding them requires rebuilding path mesh, so it's not intended for adjusting obstacles in every frame, but rather once in a while

(not meant for characters, but good for doors)

Attached File(s) Image(s)

10-01-2011 04:47 PM
Chris Offline

Quick bug:

Should be easy to reproduce, just run into this notch immediately after running the tutorial, character gets stuck and can't get out.
10-03-2011 02:11 AM
fatcoder Offline

The problem is that the navmesh is being built from the physical bodies that surround those rocks. Since the physical bodies have a flat top, the navmesh includes that.

I think to solve this problem there needs to be a flag in EE to mark an object as an obstacle, but not walkable. Then EE will need to filter the object's mesh (or physical body in this case) to exclude the flat surfaces that recast would interpert as walkable areas.

This is something that Esenthel would need to implement into EE.

Quote:adding them requires rebuilding path mesh, so it's not intended for adjusting obstacles in every frame, but rather once in a while

I haven't tried this yet, but is there a noticeable pause when it recalculates, or is it done in a background thread or something?
10-03-2011 09:21 AM
Zervox Offline

I did not have above problem though,

it does by the way have a choice box inside the editor on objects if it is to be included into the navmesh or not, setting it to ignore will not create navmesh ontop of it but will blockout the objects position, eg it will block the area completely and no walkable area on top.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2011 09:39 AM by Zervox.)
10-03-2011 09:36 AM
fatcoder Offline

I was able to reproduce the problem in the tutorial. Clicking an inaccessible area causes the agent to get stuck on the rocks.

(10-03-2011 09:36 AM)Zervox Wrote:  it does by the way have a choice box inside the editor on objects if it is to be included into the navmesh or not, setting it to ignore will not create navmesh ontop of it but will blockout the objects position, eg it will block the area completely and no walkable area on top.

Ah, I did not know this. I will need to try things out first before commenting.
10-03-2011 12:26 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I can add third option to pathmesh in object params (block completely)
10-03-2011 12:31 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(10-03-2011 09:21 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  I haven't tried this yet, but is there a noticeable pause when it recalculates, or is it done in a background thread or something?
That depends on mesh size and complexity
Sometimes it can be as quick as 0.001s and sometimes as slow as 0.1s
10-03-2011 12:36 PM
fatcoder Offline

I just tried out the two options for PathMesh that are currently there (Create and Ignore) and they both seem to do the same thing?? Maybe I've done something wrong. See the screen shot below.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

10-03-2011 01:17 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

At the moment ignore doesn't work for embedded objects. I'll also update this for next sdk
10-03-2011 01:20 PM