About Store Forum Documentation Contact

NPC's controlled by the server
kulesz Offline

NPC's controlled by the server
Hi,

I've got one question regarding NPC's (or monsters) in a MMO game in EE. If the server contains only terrain heightmap data (without mesh and physics actor), how can it control placing the objects or movement of all AI-driven characters - collisions and so on?
Any ideas?
09-18-2011 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: NPC's controlled by the server
you can use Game::World on the server to handle physics (note: only 1 game world can be used at a time)
or use collision on the client
09-18-2011 02:55 PM
TBJokers Offline

Just asking, Does this mean that if you have several players on different like Worlds in the game, The server would only be able to handle one? For one of the players?

Man, it's always that semicolon...
12-12-2011 02:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
impi Offline

Depending on your system design, you would normally have one world per server, capable of handling many players.

Whats currently missing and needed to make MMO's is visibility from one world to a neighboring one ... so you can easily 'divide' your game up into multiple worlds to distribute load.
12-26-2011 12:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
reesylou Offline

I just saw this topic and it rather frightened me. I had not realised that Esenthel only handled one world on the server at a time... and our game design is based on having multiple worlds for different sections: space, system, planet etc... I thought that this would be possible based on the tutorial that teleports between worlds using the particle effect. (I can't grab the exact tutorial right now as I am not on the computer I have esenthel installed on).

Please confirm whether this is a hard limit, or whether it is something that can be coded around.
11-28-2012 04:33 AM
Zervox Offline

Then you need to look into writing your own world manager.
11-28-2012 10:11 AM
reesylou Offline

(11-28-2012 10:11 AM)Zervox Wrote:  Then you need to look into writing your own world manager.

That's what I had hoped/feared (Hoped it could be done and feared we would have to).

Oh well, nothing good comes easily!
11-28-2012 10:27 AM