About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Skybox problems
Wannie Offline

Skybox problems
First of all I would just like to say hi to everyone as I am totally new to Esenthel and am hoping to learn a great deal from you guys (and gals)!

Now to my problem, that is most probably a noobie question... I am creating a space scene and have a little problem with the skybox texture types.

First of all my skybox consists of 6 4096x4096px images to create a seamless space, however the filesize when converted to B8G8R8A8 is over 350MB!

If I use DXT5 I get a horrible quality finish that I don't get with the larger format.

The .png files are about 3.5MB each.

My question is then what file format can I use to lower the file size but still get the great quality I need to make a believable scene?

Thank you in advanced,

Wayne H

See attachment to see what I'm talking about.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2011 01:39 PM by Wannie.)
10-14-2011 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kulesz Offline

RE: Skybox problems
Maybe try to turn off mipmaps during conversion to gfx format...
10-14-2011 02:06 PM
Chris Offline

The smallest file-size would be to do Image.import(...) in App::Init(), if you don't mind a bit of loading? That way you can get the predictive qualities of png compression, yet still keep it fast in memory. Else, another lossless reduction would be the release .pak compression on the 350mb file. I'm not an expert in this area though.
10-14-2011 02:34 PM
bivit Offline

Hi guy. I skybox to use this code:

Variables:
Image my_skybox;

Bool Init():
my_skybox.Import("../Sky.jpg", IMAGE_B8G8R8A8, IMAGE_CUBE);
Sky.skybox(my_skybox);

Importing images is described in the textbook "EsenthelEngineSDK\Tutorials\Source\Advanced\1 - Geometry, Graphics, Gui, Misc, Net, Sound\Graphics\Import Image.cpp"

Here is my example:
[Image: 6aba615c8cc7.jpg]

It is the whole texture, in the resolution of 6144x1024px(6 images in 1024x1024) and size - 1.78mb
Also, if you want to understand how to position the image in the skybox texture - see "EsenthelEngineSDK \ Data \ Gfx \ Sky \ skybox.jpg"
10-14-2011 03:35 PM