About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Server programming language
Sadahar Offline

RE: Server programming language
EE would handle that stuff for you ^^
I personally like coding.. its my hobbie, so I've done that part from scratch (C#), with a different approach pfft

Btw: if you know well java.. use java smile
I personally like C# but.. pseyou'd have to learn it smile
10-16-2011 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Icewind Offline

But EE doesn't provide a robust, fault tolerant, highly scalable server, right? Or am I missing something?

So I would have to write it myself anyway, or base it on some existing server (like RedDwarf).

So if the server is not based on EE I would have to write the following things myselft:
* load the World (or at least the HeightMap) for locating players.
* physics stuff, for collision detection (at least some of those should be done on the server)
* saving object and world state.

Anything else?

Thanks for your answers so far, helped me a lot!
10-17-2011 09:42 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

There is a sample server in Esenthel MMO and more advanced in Ineisis lite
First uses c++ EE SDK second uses code editor Esenthel script
10-17-2011 09:50 AM
Icewind Offline

Yeah those numbers would be highly appreciated!
10-17-2011 12:43 PM
Driklyn Offline

RakNet, anybody? Tutorial here.
10-17-2011 06:31 PM
Icewind Offline

Sooo RakNet provides a custom protocoll that is (hopefully) a bit more efficient than TCP. Well "Lag compensation" sounds interesting but as there are not really technical details what it exactly does it's kinda uncertain.

The rest seems not really that interesting... So, there wouldn't be much gained by using it I assume...
10-18-2011 10:27 AM
Driklyn Offline

Click on the different license types on the pricing page. There are links to PDFs of the licensing terms on them. Paste the links in Google if you don't have a PDF reader installed and click the 'Quick View' next to the search result.

Hobbyist licensing agreement
10-19-2011 12:39 AM
impi Offline

(10-17-2011 12:29 PM)aceio76 Wrote:  ...
Maybe Esenthel can provide some information on what numbers he was able to observe as far as high number of player connections, max bandwidth utilization, max memory utilization, etc. while the high number of connections are occurring. That may give you perspective on whether enterprise server design is needed right off the bat.
Can we get some numbers on this please?
11-27-2011 02:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've already replied to you here:
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...1#pid29401
11-27-2011 03:40 PM
impi Offline

Thank you
11-28-2011 01:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rndbit Offline

(11-28-2011 03:20 AM)aceio76 Wrote:  I think Memory first might be more of a bottleneck on the server than CPU, but I think that will depend on what other systems are running on the server (mob server, combat server, ability server complete with cooldowns, channeling, etc).

I'm curious myself as to the limitations, but I shall cross that bridge when I need to cross it smile

about CPU you are right, about memory - well.. it really depends on how you code the server. in example there is opensource lineage2 server emulator called l2j. i recall running server with 700 online people on machine that had 4 GB ram. and there was ~gig free. Tho it was years ago, i dont know current state of l2j server. Also i recently have been running official leaked lineage2 server, which with 700 online consumed around 16gb ram. most of it was just pre-allocated since server was managing its memory itself. i guess you can get a picture.. and you should not be worried, if you run server your hardware will be able to handle it smile its not like people would run server on P4 nowdays.. smile)
11-28-2011 02:38 PM