About Store Forum Documentation Contact

A few questions before I decide to use the engine
Obijankenobi Offline

A few questions before I decide to use the engine
Hi there,
from what I've seen Esenthel seems to be the right engine for me.
I want to develop a virtual World like those in "Operation Flashpoint" and "ArmA".

My approach would be to create villages procedurally, with lots of manually edited details.

I need to know if it is possible to dynamically load objects in the background and use them if they finished loading.
I suppose the engine already has something like this implemented, but I want to make it possible to enter every house there is, and in every house there are dynamic objects.

I do not think that the engine could handle it, so I would prefer to use a self-written portal based rendering system for certain entities in my world (of course not all).

Is this possible? (Textures as well as geometry)

In case it is I will buy this awesome product almost instantly (I'm not kidding... I'd have to lay money aside for two months and then get it).

I have been using Truevision 3D before, but the ego shooter that I was working on required me to modify the engine on DirectX-level which is clearly not the purpose of an engine... It is unsuitable for any game, except for mini-games or unconventional 3D games..

Thanks in advance for your (hopefully) kind answers smile
10-16-2011 01:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

RE: A few questions before I decide to use the engine
Objects are already dynamically loaded: please check the video of the "unlimited" sized worlds and how everything is loaded : http://www.esenthel.com/?id=feature/game...#streaming

Note that you can use the SDK freely for as long as you like with the only restriction that you may not publish a commercial product: http://www.esenthel.com/?id=buy

Also a good place to start is on the "features" pages accessible through the mainpage to see what this engine is capable of smile

Welcome to the Forums mate! grin

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
10-16-2011 09:28 AM
Obijankenobi Offline

Thanks for the answer Dwight.
Of course I have read the feature list.. I have been keeping an eye on the engine for quite a while, but my demands are very unusual and have never done in a game before (at least there's not a single one I know of), so you have to excuse that I have doubts that Esenthel can handle it.
On the other hand, maybe I don't put enough trust in the engine.

I will give it a go nevertheless =)
It might work out fine after all. We'll see.

Thanks again smile
10-16-2011 02:27 PM
Tobbo Offline

Esenthel does not get the proper recognition that it deserves. It is an amazing engine, as well as a flexible one. I too had many doubts that Esenthel would not be capable of doing everything that I needed it to when I first found it. As I began working with the engine and learning what it really can do, all of my doubts were lifted.

The SDK is free as Dwight has already mentioned. So you could actually prototype and test it, to see if it would meet your needs before you bought a commercial license. smile
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011 06:01 PM by Tobbo.)
10-16-2011 06:00 PM
Obijankenobi Offline

Nice, thanks guys.
I already spoke with the second programmer and showed him the list of features and examples and he was already impressed.
Well so be it... of course I still have a few doubts, but I've literally tried hundreds of Engines, and a lot of them didn't even deserve the name engine.
I will start programming as soon as I find some spare time and then report back to you.
Esenthel seems different smile

Thanks for answering smile (Nice community you have here)
10-16-2011 06:56 PM
Dwight Offline

Just because we are in general nice, doesn't mean we are not critical wink

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
10-16-2011 07:14 PM