About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Floating Characters
EthanC Offline

Floating Characters
Ingame, any character you make seems to float above the ground. I've checked the physics shapes and they are all fine. When you told caps lock ingame you can clearly see the terrain in wireframe but also some sort of capsule-like shape i can only describe as a very short capsule positioned between the character and the ground. My thoughts are this might be related but preliminary tests haven't yielded any results.

What is that capsule and how do we make it go away / correct the floating character issue?
11-04-2011 07:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

RE: Floating Characters
That capsule is the "physical body" of the player. Place the capsule higher in the model editor (go to physics, or w.e the tab is called and select its physical body there). Also make sure the gravity is set!!!

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
11-04-2011 08:18 PM
EthanC Offline

The capsule's bottom is equal with the very bottoms of their shoes also so it isn't "below" the model, also the shape is a very small capsule, not a large one like the character's actual physics shape in the model editor that encapsulates the whole body.

How do you "set the gravity"?

EDIT: Here are screenshots of the same model in the game and in the editor showing that the capsule is apparently being overridden somehow.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2011 08:54 AM by EthanC.)
11-05-2011 02:03 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

are you setting custom physical body in the Game Object Parameters in World Editor?
http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?t...t_Examples
"PhysBody"
11-05-2011 03:14 PM
EthanC Offline

Yes, the NPC models in the game show up with the current physics capsule size, but only the playable one (that you are) still has that physics capsule and it's not just one race, it's all playable races of characters.

Is there anything in the engine that might be overwriting the physics capsule I tell it to use based simply on the fact that it's the players character?
I've been through every single physics shape in ever single folder and never found one that resembles this "short capsule" we're seeing here, so I don't think it could be some other models' data affecting the player. This short capsule only seems to exist at runtime. Perhaps it's a "default" of some type built into the engine?
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2011 07:45 PM by EthanC.)
11-05-2011 07:14 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

If no phys is specified then default is used
Read game::chr sources
11-05-2011 07:54 PM
EthanC Offline

And as another update, the problem only happens when you run the actual game. As it turns out, it doesn't happen if you simply clean and play the level in the world editor.
11-05-2011 07:57 PM
JonathonA Offline

Problem resolved. Player class was calling super::create(obj_params) but the obj_params did not contain a custom phys instance.
11-09-2011 07:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply