About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Object List Becomes Unusable
EthanC Offline

Object List Becomes Unusable
I notice once you get a few hundred thousand objects in the world the object list in the world editor becomes unusable. It'll just hang there which I assume means it's trying to quantify all of the objects.
It isn't a huge concern right now but when you're trying to make certain you didn't leave any "OBJ_PLAYER" characters laying around to screw up your client, the object list would really come in handy as i believe it's intended to. Perhaps this post should be on the "requested features" area but i wasn't sure where to put it so i just put it here for now so it's "on file".
11-18-2011 07:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Object List Becomes Unusable
this will be addressed in next SDK
12-14-2011 07:14 PM
Demostenes2 Offline

I have same experience. Problem is obvious when I have grass and trees in the world. In our case it can mean 300-400 millions of grass and 0,6 million of trees.

I really suggest to put trees and grass out of this list and dont manage them as normal objects.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 02:16 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-15-2011 02:16 AM
Demostenes2 Offline

(12-15-2011 06:32 AM)aceio76 Wrote:  I think being able to filter certain objtypes out of the list is a very good start.

Well, if you have 600k trees (or 200m of grass), you dont want klick on expand. You will NEVER use it. And such list is useless anaway, I want to know what kind of vegetation I have in world, but list with coordinates of all instances has no real usage. So from my point of view, vegetation does not belong there.

This is reason, why vegetation is usually managed by terrain engines and not listed between standard obejcts.

But of course any solution is better than nothing.

This is only vegetation, each bigger game would have tens of thousands items anyway. Question is, what to do with it. Here are my ideas:

1) When instancing object in the world, enable user to put it into some tree structure. Exactly like Unity3D is doing it. You can easily manage objects in complex scenes, if you have discipline to give it some logical structure.

2) Fastest solution would be probably enabling by some check box listing of objects only in visible area (and put vegetation away).
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 09:36 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-15-2011 09:25 AM