About Store Forum Documentation Contact

About designer's document
SamNainocard Offline

About designer's document
I currently try to make a document for my game but I'm not sure how to make it.
Because I currently make a game with unorganized wall-of-text document, so I feel like nothing to do for sometimes.

For game designing, is flowchart required? I asked at somewhere before but it's not a desirable answer.

I also googled for some answer and get a GGD (Game Design Document) by Mark Baldwin and another one by Chris Taylor, which didn't have flowchart, while MSDN tutorial have one. Also Play with Fire Document

So, can anyone show how to write these document, is individual and team developing having same document? is flowcharts necessary?

PS: Please show it with example, would be cool if it's partial of your design document.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Add more link reference.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 02:24 PM by SamNainocard.)
11-20-2011 02:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: About designer's document
I'm sorry to give such a shady argument, but: It depends.

Make sure you don't lose track of what you want to do. Is the document to convince sponsors, to explain your game ideas in-depth, or maybe just to guide your team?

Each of those would require you to make your document differently. If a flow chart works best for you to transfer your ideas to someone else, then heck, go for it. smile

A few things to keep in mind though. If you make the document just for yourself and your team, you want it to contain a lot of information; as much as you can.
If it's to interest other people to join your team, or to get funding, a few pages would be good enough.
11-20-2011 02:38 PM
erdemin Offline

I don't find the template we used way back when we started on design, but I do believe this one comes quite close:

http://www.runawaystudios.com/articles/c...or_gdd.asp

Eventually we moved over to a private forum but after years of changing and designing our game most things got buried deep in page long posts. My advice would be to filter the critical/important things out asap before you need to work your way through walls of text to find the info you need.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 02:48 PM by erdemin.)
11-20-2011 02:45 PM
SamNainocard Offline

Thank you.

For now I mostly solo, while future I guess I'll work with friends, so I think I should organized my game idea with lot of details.

I still look for more input, oh and I forget to ask that.

Should I separately write one thing per document (gameplay.doc, ui.doc, control.doc) or just one big document like template?
11-20-2011 04:33 PM
JonathonA Offline

It varies greatly Sam. Because you are working mostly solo I recommend keeping it fairly simple, don't overcomplicate things for yourself so manage just one or two documents at the most.

Take a look at this link: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/33...ument_.php it contains four pages for you to read. Don't worry about reading the sections on page 3 and 4 about Cost Projection, Market, Technical and Legal Analysis for now. Just have a look at the parts on writing a Game Concept document to give you some idea about how to structure the documentation for yourself.

Here's a couple of small suggestions for you...

The game concept document is a summary of your game, an introduction that briefly but excitedly introduces the game plot, setting and so on. Another section that contains a list of the key features you plan to have, and perhaps a background section to list where you got your inspiration from for making the game, other games that influenced it and so on.

Now I appreciate that isn't a design document, its a concept, but a concept document allows you to remember what the key features are, what the genre is and its a foundation for your game.

Then write a design document ( http://accad.osu.edu/~pgerstma/class/gmz...cument.pdf ) that "details" the key features of your game (which are in the concept document) break them down, prioritise them, some features won't be as important as others. Explain "what" and "how" the player will interact with your game world, with the GUI and so on.

The design document is your blueprint to work from. You can include some pseudo-code in the design document but I don't recommend it, just detail the "mechanics" of your game, how it works basically smile

I hope that helps and I haven't bogged you down with more information than you need.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 04:56 PM by JonathonA.)
11-20-2011 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SamNainocard Offline

Thank you, I'll take a read tomorrow, it's late night now.
11-20-2011 05:37 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

You can find some great info & a fairly easy to follow template here: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm. For organizing things for yourself and friends this is a great start.

Also keep in mind that the design document is a living document. It will always be updated and changing as the game development progresses.
11-23-2011 01:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SamNainocard Offline

Thank you, I always thought that design documents are static one and should be finish first.
11-23-2011 03:01 PM