About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Any Information on Future Occlusion Methods?
EthanC Offline

Any Information on Future Occlusion Methods?
I really hope it doesn't come off as "demanding" but before we go any further, I wanted to at least make one post here that could really save my team a lot of time.

The question is, would it be possible to get any sort of information about what the occlusion method(s) coming in future releases will be based on? Whether it's strict zoning (interior/exterior) or geometry occlusion, or perhaps a combination of either or some other method entirely?

The only reason i'm bringing it up is that every day we're bringing more assets from our old engine into esenthel and we're getting in building interiors and exteriors now as well as ship interiors/interiors/ ext that were largely seperated inside and out for zoning.

I'd just like to know (once again, if possible) how i/we should be assembling the geometries of these dozens of individual buildings and large objects in preparing our assets to utilize whatever system(s) is/are coming so we won't have to "re-do" an entire game's worth of assets in a few months once the capabilities are there.

Much appreciated for any info at all you can give me, as always. Anything you can say officially to even get us pointed in the right way of "how we should be doing this" would be greatly appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2011 07:59 AM by EthanC.)
12-03-2011 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Any Information on Future Occlusion Methods?
Hi,

I can't say anything about occlusion culling before its developed.

Most probably it will be automated, so you shouldn't worry about methods of assembling the objects.
12-03-2011 11:34 AM
EthanC Offline

Thanks for the response.

Currently although the game itself has great framerates even rendering both inside and outside contents (until you get more than a few buildings on the screen at once) the model editor and world editor themselves seem to choke when you try to manipulate buildings and spacecraft with 90,000 faces each shown. As a work around, I might have to "chunk" them out or something and only edit certain parts at a time. It will really come down to "when" there will be an update to occlusion so to speak.
12-03-2011 11:45 AM
Demostenes Offline
Banned

I put to scene 400k poly model made from 37 parts (37 materials) and framerate drop was insignificant. Maybe you forget to merge all parts with same material? First it made me 12k parts (i dont know why) and it was quite slow, but after merge everything is OK.
12-18-2011 03:50 AM