About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Shadowing Artifact at World Edge
fatcoder Offline

Shadowing Artifact at World Edge
When raising the terrain at the edge of the world in the Editor it results in a strange shadowing artifact as can be seen below. I've never noticed this before so I'm wondering if this is a recent bug perhaps.

12-12-2011 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kulesz Offline

RE: Shadowing Artifact at World Edge
This can also happen in game, when terrain raises and ends up at the end of last area.
BTW, can you check it with material culling enabled?
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 10:20 AM by kulesz.)
12-12-2011 10:19 AM
fatcoder Offline

Interesting... turning culling off on the terrain materials solves the problem. This doesn't make sense as culling should not need to be switched off for these materials. They are applied to solid terrain, not leaves on a tree that need culling off.

As I said, this seems to be a new issue as I've never seen it before and I've never switched culling off before.

Anyway, there seems to be some light bleed or something going on with culling off that I've also never seen before. See below. I get the feeling something has gone funny recently with terrain shaders perhaps.

12-12-2011 11:30 AM
kulesz Offline

It's not a new issue, I've noticed this about 3 months ago... And actually, it makes sense, as lighting doesn't cast shadows through the polygon backface. And because your hill is cut in half, light falls exactly on these surfaces :-) Which results in such artifacts - they are not exactly a bugs, it's just a drawback of this lighting technique.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (I might be).
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 12:24 PM by kulesz.)
12-12-2011 12:23 PM
fatcoder Offline

No, you are correct. I just don't recall seeing this before so thought perhaps it was a recent issue that has cropped up.

The light bleeding only seems to show up when raising the terrain at the edge, which supports what you said and I suspected. Strange that we need to turn culling off for terrain materials though.

Oh well, I guess we just work around it. smile
12-12-2011 03:27 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you don't need to turn culling off, just make neighbor areas
12-12-2011 10:01 PM