About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Advance Particle Effect samples?
dylantan Offline

Advance Particle Effect samples?
I am just wondering wondering if we could use frame base image to do particle effects such the sample attachment (which were created using TimelineFX). We try a simple one combining 2 particle into 1 for more realistic fire but the result was somewhat so-so.

We wanted to make advance particle effects but stuck. We wanted frame by frame image that make the particle effect. Anyone could advice what we should do or show us to the right direction?

12-16-2011 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Advance Particle Effect samples?
If you want frame by frame animation you need to make particle image like this:
http://mrbubblewand.files.wordpress.com/...re_002.png
and in the Particle Editor (Image window) select X,Y frames, red grid will be displayed to help see the partitioning.
12-16-2011 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dylantan Offline

(12-16-2011 04:31 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  If you want frame by frame animation you need to make particle image like this:
http://mrbubblewand.files.wordpress.com/...re_002.png
and in the Particle Editor (Image window) select X,Y frames, red grid will be displayed to help see the partitioning.

Yeah we tried that and we do have the framed images. However we wanted to make it looked like it is 3D. That's the real challenge that we are facing.
12-17-2011 07:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demostenes2 Offline

It is possible to make something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gNnyC2R2...r_embedded
12-17-2011 04:21 PM
dylantan Offline

(12-17-2011 04:21 PM)Demostenes2 Wrote:  It is possible to make something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gNnyC2R2...r_embedded

Thats a cool fireball, very realistic. I think the industry call this kind of special effects, "FX Effects" or something. I was searching for reference but mostly for Unreal and for Unity. There are tools made only for Torgue called "Arcane FX" and "Particle Universe" for the Ogre 3D which were used in Torchlight.

We have not much experience in FX Effects, and this is why we looking for help/tips/advice on how we could make advance effects for our game.
12-17-2011 04:34 PM
fatcoder Offline

(12-17-2011 04:21 PM)Demostenes2 Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gNnyC2R2...r_embedded

It is just a basic partical system. You could easily create this using the Particle editor in EE. Click on the Particle tab in the Model Editor and knock yourself out.
12-18-2011 01:10 AM
dylantan Offline

(12-18-2011 01:10 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  
(12-17-2011 04:21 PM)Demostenes2 Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gNnyC2R2...r_embedded

It is just a basic partical system. You could easily create this using the Particle editor in EE. Click on the Particle tab in the Model Editor and knock yourself out.

errr Thanks but we already pass that basic particle effects. Looking for advance sample not basic ones though.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2011 04:19 AM by dylantan.)
12-18-2011 04:17 AM
fatcoder Offline

Hang on, you said...

dylantan Wrote:Thats a cool fireball, very realistic

So I told you the tool to use to make it. Then you say...

dylantan Wrote:we already pass that basic particle effects

So which one is it? A cool realistic effect or a basic effect??? Either way, there's the tool to make it.
12-18-2011 05:11 AM
dylantan Offline

(12-18-2011 05:11 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  Hang on, you said...
So I told you the tool to use to make it. Then you say...
dylantan Wrote:we already pass that basic particle effects
So which one is it? A cool realistic effect or a basic effect??? Either way, there's the tool to make it.

Nevermind, you don't get what we wanted. What I am basically asking is for advance sample. Simple ones is already comes with the source code and tutorials, which already been covered and we already pass that stage. We are hoping to see better and more complex sample if possible.
12-18-2011 03:18 PM
TBJokers Offline

Well, I think i know what you mean, You want a 3d effect. That doesn't look like a particle.. Lets have some facts spilled out..

Particles from the editor are 2d particles always facing you, This makes that when you would create an effect like this.. It would look anything like it.
What you would need is to make something like i've been trying to do ,and i've also asked esenthel.. Is that you make some kind of thing like that map. but for the materials. So that you can apply it to a mesh, and get a 3d view. Though this is possible to do by coding shaders. But that's like wayy much more work then having esenthel add something in to the engine.

Man, it's always that semicolon...
12-20-2011 10:08 AM
Demostenes Offline
Banned

(12-18-2011 01:10 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  

This is fully 3D. Not 2D sprite.
12-20-2011 10:17 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

I can't say whether or not 3D animations/particles such as the ones you posted can be made with the particle editor but we've been able to get pretty close. Here is a video of some fires we threw together without really tweaking anything. With some time and patience we will get them even better looking. We created these particles with the particle editor.

12-31-2011 08:10 AM
Demostenes Offline
Banned

To be honest, this is not usable for production. We werent toying with particles yet, so I am courious about some TOP results, what is possible to achieve in EE.
01-01-2012 04:00 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

What's not usable for production?
01-01-2012 06:00 PM
Demostenes Offline
Banned

(01-01-2012 06:00 PM)dragonfly3 Wrote:  What's not usable for production?

Quality of that fire. It is deep under other graphical capabilities of EE. So I am interested in limits of particle editor in EE. If there are any advanced examples, or if anybody was able to make something like that fireball I posted before.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 07:52 PM by Demostenes.)
01-01-2012 07:48 PM