About Store Forum Documentation Contact

wiki performance tips question
Demostenes2 Offline

wiki performance tips question
I dont understand this:

"For the final product version use Meshes (if possible) with no software versions (MeshBase) using Converter tool, or Mesh::delBase() method in custom tool, keeping only GPU version's (MeshRender) - (smaller file size, loads faster)"

So what should we do? Make some custom function which will cut meshbase from all meshes just before build? We have cca 3000 meshes in project, so any "hand work" is out of question.

And one more question, why arent mipmaps and textures generated in dxt3/dxt5 automatically during import to material editor, because it is target anyway? I see no point of storing texture in other formats, since this gives the best ferformance and visual quality is same.
Just make there check box generate mip maps + store in dxt3/5...
Conversion tool is realy nice, but using it more often generates extra workload. I am thinking from point of view of large project, we have cca 4000 textures and half minute saved on each texture means lots of saved days smile

I think, that all these conversions for better performance should be done automatically during import, or during build. No reason to do it by hand using extra tool.

If that wiki is outdated and this already happens, you can ignore this.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 02:11 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-13-2011 02:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: wiki performance tips question
For the final product version use Meshes (if possible) with no software versions (MeshBase) using Converter tool
as the docs say you can use Converter tool (you can drag and drop whole data folder process all meshes at once)

textures are generated in DXT5 with mip maps by default in material editor, why do you say they are not? please provide some test data that confirm otherwise
(Material Editor has "Compress" button which is enabled by default)
12-13-2011 02:19 AM
Demostenes2 Offline

(12-13-2011 02:19 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  textures are generated in DXT5 with mip maps by default in material editor, why do you say they are not? please provide some test data that confirm otherwise
(Material Editor has "Compress" button which is enabled by default)

Thanks for explanation. This is my misunderstanding. When I saw recommendation "Use images in DXT5 format" I thought, that it is not done automatically. If it is done automatically, such recommendation makes no sense smile
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 09:15 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-13-2011 09:14 AM
Dandruff Offline

(12-13-2011 09:14 AM)Demostenes2 Wrote:  If it is done automatically, such recommendation makes no sense smile
why would you want to distribute your game if you know the engine's just going to convert the textures into dxt?. It is "recommended" to just start with the converted files, but if you want longer load times and the like, so be it.
12-17-2011 12:01 AM
Demostenes2 Offline

(12-17-2011 12:01 AM)Dandruff Wrote:  why would you want to distribute your game if you know the engine's just going to convert the textures into dxt?. It is "recommended" to just start with the converted files, but if you want longer load times and the like, so be it.

If engine is during import automatically saving texture as dxt, i see no point in recommending converting textures manually to dxt.
12-17-2011 12:54 AM