About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Particles always facing.
scotty1121 Offline

Particles always facing.
Hey guys, i have a question, i want to make an effect on a mesh by using particles (so it cycles through images) but it seems my particles keep facing me i want them to face in one direction only, is that possible?. Thanks.
01-15-2012 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demostenes Offline
Banned

RE: Particles always facing.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012 01:55 AM by Demostenes.)
01-16-2012 01:52 AM
Demostenes Offline
Banned

Actually I would really recommend to implement possibility to limit axis of particles. Add at least vertical billboard rotating only around vertical axis (usable for torches and candles) as I suggested in my example.

In my case I can achieve similar result with 1 particle instead of 40-60. For small flames like candles and torches it really makes sense, because in typical room, I have dozens of them:

http://forum.mymmo.cz/int.jpg

It is performance booster for free. Btw, as part of our EE testing, I will convert this scene to EE.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2012 01:08 AM by Demostenes.)
01-30-2012 01:05 AM
Abril Offline

(01-30-2012 01:05 AM)Demostenes Wrote:  http://forum.mymmo.cz/int.jpg

It is performance booster for free. Btw, as part of our EE testing, I will convert this scene to EE.

That kind of statistics information in the pciture would be very helpful to have in EE.
01-30-2012 11:14 AM
fatcoder Offline

(01-30-2012 11:14 AM)Abril Wrote:  That kind of statistics information in the pciture would be very helpful to have in EE.

Agreed.
01-30-2012 02:06 PM
aargh Offline

(01-30-2012 11:14 AM)Abril Wrote:  That kind of statistics information in the pciture would be very helpful to have in EE.

I also agree
01-30-2012 03:55 PM
neo22 Offline

Total Vertices/Tris count would be nice, you can already get this per mesh, i'm pretty sure that with a custom draw method you can calculate this.
Code:
U32 nbTris
void customMesh::draw(Matrix &m){
nbTris+=T.tris();//I dont remember the exact method name to get the mesh tris count
__super::draw(m);
}

Memory allocation is very important to me as a developper so +1 for this.
01-30-2012 04:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

(01-30-2012 04:56 PM)neo22 Wrote:  Total Vertices/Tris count would be nice, you can already get this per mesh, i'm pretty sure that with a custom draw method you can calculate this.

That would require a custom draw method for everything you put on screen, which would be painful. Not to mention there is a lot of stuff that you can't do this for. For example, any of the display draw methods, text rendering, some gui rendering and probably particles too.

Once Esenthel adds in the 3 or 4 lines of code needed to enable nvidia PerfHud, then we shall have everything we need.
01-30-2012 11:36 PM
Abril Offline

(01-30-2012 11:49 PM)aceio76 Wrote:  Have you guys looked into this? http://developer.amd.com/tools/PerfStudi...fault.aspx

Once I get much further into the project I am running, I'd like to look into this (considering I've extra cycles to commit). From what I remember about this, all I need to do is provide a "Pause" ability for the game so that this tool can profile a scene. If any of you guys can beat me to this, I'd welcome it.

I've already mentioned that here:

http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...0#pid30210

But the new version doesnt work anymore with nvidia cards.
nvidiaperfHUD still would be a much better solution, it would need a flag at EE initialization time to toggle it tho, since you dont want to ship with nvidiaperfhud enabled...
01-31-2012 03:06 PM
Demostenes Offline
Banned

(01-30-2012 11:36 PM)fatcoder Wrote:  Once Esenthel adds in the 3 or 4 lines of code needed to enable nvidia PerfHud, then we shall have everything we need.

This is indeed right solution. Without any statictis we are not able to tune scene.
01-31-2012 07:38 PM