About Store Forum Documentation Contact

How does the streaming work?
Silhorn Offline

How does the streaming work?
Hi,

I am trying to find a game engine to make a single player 3d space sim game.

Esenthel says unlimited worlds so i download it to try it out. I load up the character.cpp file and run it. It's a person i can control to walk around a rectangular ground.
I then go to change the y position of the character higher and higher. Once i get into the 7 digit range i notice distortions and shaking begin to happen. I was thinking this might happen because of the floating point in accuracy thing.
So if i want unlimited worlds i am guessing i break my space into blocks and when i reach the end of one i transfer to the other. Is this correct? How do i use this feature?

I've looked at the wiki and there is a small section on it but it looks like it is talking about the world streaming for servers not offline?
http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?t..._Streaming

Can someone tell me which file or webpage there is a tutorial on how to do this?

Also, when i travel from one block to another is there a loading screen or can i just travel right through without any loading screens or anything?
02-01-2012 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
evldmn Offline

RE: How does the streaming work?

reproduced, the number in the video is the height on the y
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 06:17 PM by evldmn.)
02-01-2012 06:16 PM
impi Offline

Going UP will always run into floating point issues at some point.

We had a thread on this a while ago ... unfortunately Esenthel seems to have the opinion 100sq km (I think the max safe useable area was) qualifies as "unlimited". Personally I think it should be relabeled 'Large Terrain'.
02-01-2012 11:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
evldmn Offline

(02-01-2012 11:51 PM)impi Wrote:  Going UP will always run into floating point issues at some point.

We had a thread on this a while ago ... unfortunately Esenthel seems to have the opinion 100sq km (I think the max safe useable area was) qualifies as "unlimited". Personally I think it should be relabeled 'Large Terrain'.
per world?
also, think a little bit outside the box, find out exactly where the glitching starts and make a teleport to another world at that plane.
if it doesn't always work the normal way, it's not like it doesn't work. it just needs redoing in a different way.
02-02-2012 05:11 AM
impi Offline

(02-02-2012 05:11 AM)evldmn Wrote:  per world?
What do you mean "per world"?
As I understood Esenthel supports around 100sq km per world yes - if thats what you mean.

So it would be useful if multiple worlds could be built to form very large terrains.
02-04-2012 03:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply