About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Volumetric Clouds?
EthanC Offline

Volumetric Clouds?
I've searched but not found any information on how to implement them. How do you?
03-03-2012 02:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

RE: Volumetric Clouds?
There is a tutorial for them in the Rendering folder.
03-03-2012 03:15 AM
EthanC Offline

I don't know what that means. I'm a designer by trade, not a programmer. Where is this "rendering folder" or which you speak?
03-07-2012 04:15 AM
Zervox Offline

Tutorials\Source\Advanced\2 - Animation, Physics, Rendering\Rendering\20 - Volumetric Clouds.cpp
03-07-2012 04:23 AM
EthanC Offline

(03-07-2012 04:15 AM)EthanC Wrote:  I don't know what that means. I'm a designer by trade, not a programmer.

Is it possible to experience any of the tutorials without being an actual programmer is the question. And also, why would they be in such a format as to exclude any of the other dozens of skillsets within the game making sector such as environment artists?
03-14-2012 10:26 PM
JonathonA Offline

Quick question about volumetric clouds; I noticed you have "volumetric" and "object" cloud codes in tutorials. Is it possible to change the color of clouds using VolumetricClouds class? I can change color if I create my own custom class (as you do in the Object Clouds codes) but wanted to check whether or not it is possible using VolumetricClouds class.

Thank you.
04-06-2012 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EthanC Offline

In regards to Jon's post above; the point is as much as we want volumetric clouds, having white clouds at sunset, or at midnight doesn't look right.
04-06-2012 08:40 PM
Gian-Reto Offline

Just change the color of the clouds.... its really easy to do. I just did that last night when I hacked in the clouds to my prototype.

Code:
Clouds.volumetric.bright_color = cloudBright;
   Clouds.volumetric.dark_color = cloudDark;

and I generate the color by time just the same way as Esenthel did in his Tutorial for Night/Day cycles for the sky color.

I'm not sure yet If bright color is always the upper side of the cloud and the other way round, or if the shadows follow the light (so that clouds are lighted from below during dawn/ dusk), but I'll find that out soon...
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 09:50 PM by Gian-Reto.)
04-06-2012 09:49 PM
Tottel Offline

Esenthel interpolates the colour of the sun/light according to the time of day (day-night cycle tutorial), you can do the exact same with interpolating the colour of the clouds as well.

If you want, I can copy/paste an example, but eventually you'll need a coder for this.
04-06-2012 09:53 PM
JonathonA Offline

Not the brightness/darkness of clouds, that transitions you from black to white and white to black. What if I dont want it to be black and white? Object clouds I can do this in drawVolume calls but VolumetricCloud I cant do that?
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 11:39 PM by JonathonA.)
04-06-2012 10:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gian-Reto Offline

(04-06-2012 10:20 PM)JonathonA Wrote:  Not the brightness/darkness of clouds, that transitions you from black to white and white to black. What if I dont want it to be black and white? Object clouds I can do this in drawVolume calls but VolumetricCloud I cant do that?

Please try what I noted above... you can set dark and bright color to any color you like. Infact, thats what I do during dusk/dawn, I set them to a reddish color to get a really atmospheric look.
04-07-2012 09:27 AM
JonathonA Offline

Hmm I will try it again, thanks gian-reto
04-07-2012 09:00 PM
JonathonA Offline

Hmm as much as Object Clouds are really good, they look very box shaped because of using the oriented box in the drawVolume call. I have tried playing with the oriented box and its matrix to try and achieve this but no luck so far.

Is it even possible to get around this?

I noticed volumetric clouds look better but I assume they are drawn as a 3D billboard or using some other method?
04-09-2012 02:00 PM
EthanC Offline

And I'm not certain the the volumetric clouds are true volumetric either, considering they're 2D and so far it doesn't look like they can be billboarded to the character's perspective, thus they can't be seen from above nor really at all from a height near their own.
04-09-2012 05:37 PM