About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Unrendered Grass Causing Massive Slowdown
EthanC Offline

Unrendered Grass Causing Massive Slowdown
I started noticing this a while back but have been to busy to make any real note of it until now.

It's making it quite difficult to place grass in the editor, that even when you're far enough away from any grass you still get massive massive slowdown if there happens to be any in the area.

Even if you turn off grass in the editor, if you face (say) an open prairie where there have been placed lots of grass your framerate will drop down into the single digits easily. One can verify through wireframe that they aren't actually being rendered, but still causing a massive amount of cpu over head unless you actually remove the grass. Why is this and how do I avoid it without simply doing without grass?
03-14-2012 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EthanC Offline

RE: Unrendered Grass Causing Massive Slowdown
Still no response. Hmmmm.
03-31-2012 12:10 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes, each grass instance in the editor is separate object which needs to be processed, so there are slow downs.
04-02-2012 01:39 AM
EthanC Offline

(04-02-2012 01:39 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Yes, each grass instance in the editor is separate object which needs to be processed, so there are slow downs.

Hmmm.
Recommendations? Other than "just have less grass?"
04-02-2012 01:47 AM
Magnets Offline

@aceio76
Aww, that's a bit of a downer. A big part of my map would require large, open areas filled with tallish grass.
04-02-2012 05:28 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Esenthel, is there any ETA for that instancing?

As I've seen whats possible with clever instancing even in a "crappy" (to be fair: just alittle bit dated) engine like Unity, I have to say placing grass, or even trees as objects is not optimal...
04-10-2012 08:54 AM
Magnets Offline

@EthanC I'm thinking possibly that a way to get around that "each individual grass will count as an object" thing is to group together clumps of ground level plants beforehand, in Maya or 3dStudio for example, and then import it all into Esenthel as a single "object". Also the LOD thing, blah blah blah...

I mean, if that sort of thing is supported.
04-10-2012 06:48 PM
dylantan Offline

We having the same problem. My PC spec are decent enough but the FPS are extremely low. We are getting like 2-5 fps which is extremely slow but yet we have relatively low vegetation objects (i.e. grass and trees) and we checked the vegetation has low poly.

See these picture:

05-07-2012 07:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spezies Offline

The fps at my low-power pc is not good too, but I had put some grass in that scenes.
05-09-2012 02:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dylantan Offline

Just for your information only (Since no one even bothered to reply). I think we solved a bit of the performance issue. Earlier on, we forgotten about LOD and distancing. After making all the necessary LOD and distancing for the vegetation model, it does help improve the overall FPS. We gained around 4x the performance, which improve the avg of 15fps to about 40fps. We are still looking for method that could help us improve the FPS more.
05-09-2012 02:54 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?t...imizations
various options in "display.h" and "renderer.h"
other perf. improvements are scheduled on the roadmap
05-10-2012 05:40 AM