About Store Forum Documentation Contact

pak patcher crash
yvanvds Offline

pak patcher crash
Hello again!

Atm, I am getting this error when my patcher tries to update my pak files:

Quote:Unhandled exception at 0x00d01006 in Tutorials.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

This happens somewhere within the PakUpdate() function. The Patching Paks tutorial has the same problem. Not with the standard url though. But if I just switch the url to my server, and put my data.pak file in LocalData/Patch it crashes the same way.

So to wrap it up:
  1. It's not a problem in my code because it also happens in the tutorial.
  2. It can't be a problem with my data.pak because it's made with the converter tool and doesn't seem to be corrupt. (Can be unpacked and browsed).
  3. It can't be a problem with the files on the server because they are all uploaded with the provided uploader tool.

My guess is that something is going wrong in that PakUpdate function, but only in certain circumstances.

If you would download my game from the website and install it, you will have the data.pak I use. Put that in LocalData/Patch and change the line in Patching Paks.cpp to:

PHP Code:
patcher.create("http://attr-x.net/downloads/patcher""data"NULL); 

If I'm correct, the error will be the same.

Regards,

yvan
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2012 10:12 PM by yvanvds.)
03-28-2012 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: pak patcher crash
Hi, is it possible you could provide smaller download package? I currently have slow connection, and downloading 1.1 GB would be rather difficult.

also: attaching call stack may help, maybe I would be able to solve problem from seeing the screen.

I've downloaded both paks from your URL http://attr-x.net/downloads/patcher but they both seem secured, so I guess you shouldn't have NULL in your line of code?
03-29-2012 01:30 PM
yvanvds Offline

Hi, and thanks for your time. Provided I could provide a smaller download package, it would not make any difference because the patcher will need to download more, before arriving at the point where it crashes (which is after downloading everything that's not in the package).

I can try to create a smaller download package and another server location to patch from, with only a few files. But if the problem lies within the download package or the online files, it probably won't show you the problem. Nevertheless, I will try to do that, but I'm not sure if I have enough time tonight and I'm leaving for a holiday tomorrow morning :-)

Here's the call stack:

Quote: Tutorials.exe!EE::PakCreator::create() + 0xf26 bytes C++
Tutorials.exe!EE::Pak::create() + 0xd7 bytes C++
Tutorials.exe!EE::PakUpdate() + 0x37c bytes C++
> Tutorials.exe!Update() Line 122 + 0x1e bytes C++
Tutorials.exe!EE::UpdateState() + 0xa5 bytes C++
Tutorials.exe!EE::Application::loop() + 0xcf bytes C++
Tutorials.exe!_WinMain@16() + 0x22 bytes C++
Tutorials.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 275 + 0x1c bytes C
kernel32.dll!772cde7d()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for kernel32.dll]
ntdll.dll!777f4b54()
ntdll.dll!777f4b27()

The paks in that directory are put there by your uploader tool. I really don't have anything in the 'Secure' textline when I upload. So they should not be secured. In any case they're not generated by me. Aren't they used internally by the uploader tool? The data which is downloaded is in the data\ directory. It's not a pack file. The files in there are supposed to be added to the patch.pak after downloading.
03-29-2012 06:51 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yeah, sorry, the pak files on your server are correct.
the PakCreator::create func codes look rather safe, I think crash can occur if you provide invalid/corrupt data.
But I would need a repro test case (sample data+project so I can test it).

PakUpdate requires 'src' pak, and 'Memb<PakFileData> &update_files' as the parameters.

I would need 'src' pak (but you can provide it without the "data of the files", you can create it in converter tool with "no data" button enabled, this way its size will be only few KB instead of 1 GB), and I would need the code of how you call the PakUpdate (can be based on the tutorial in the SDK)
04-02-2012 02:04 AM
yvanvds Offline

ok, I've included the pak without data and the cpp code as an attachment. The cpp code is just the Patching Paks tutorial, with the url of the files changed to my server.

The pak file is only 485 Kb now. It will download about 50 Mb of new files from the patching server. (I don't think I can lower that without messing up the server for other clients trying to download.)

I've doublechecked this pak file, and on my computer the error is still the same. So I think you should be able to recreate the error.

.7z  problem.7z (Size: 58.35 KB / Downloads: 3)
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 01:08 PM by yvanvds.)
04-04-2012 01:07 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

thanks! downloaded and will check this soon
04-08-2012 07:03 AM
yvanvds Offline

Any progress on this?
04-11-2012 01:30 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thank you for your patience and assistance.
The bug has been removed, it will work ok in the next release.
04-15-2012 06:59 AM
yvanvds Offline

Great! && Thanks! Can't wait to release the next version of my project. (BTW, an Android version is also nearly ready.)
04-15-2012 09:35 AM