About Store Forum Documentation Contact

code based world management (areas) Question
darkelfv Offline

code based world management (areas) Question
Hi, messing with the sdk and looking at tutorials.

I know you can add dynamic objects.

However I plan on making dynamic levels and I still wish to use the world / area structures. I just want to develop and save them with code.

Is there a way to create new worlds, define areas, add data, then save as a world with in the code? Specifically Areas so that i can use the automatic loading / unloading of the active area and distance from center of the engine.

another related question, I plan on having events that may or may not happen in the active area. Does this mean I will have to keep track of all these things in a separate thread or code function? Keeping them in the objects would not work because they are unloaded from memory when a area is not active correct?

Where can i learn more about how areas work, how to interact with them via code or scripts?

Would i just be better off writing code to manage the active area from scratch? Using my own file formats and data structures to handle the content? Anything I can reuse would save a lot of time, any info is appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit Found this thread, which gives some hints. http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=4122
Looks like more research for me on embedded objects and doing some tests with the example code. Any help will still be appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 04:45 AM by darkelfv.)
05-02-2012 01:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: code based world management (areas) Question
Ineisis Lite is complete working tutorial that handles dynamic world management, however it does not import worlds from World Editor, but only handles things created dynamically/manually.
You could however add to it manual code that parses premade world editor world, and initializes dynamic world according to the data in the world folder.
05-04-2012 05:18 AM
darkelfv Offline

ahh ok, thanks for the reply.

Ouch at 750 I can not afford just to get a access to a partial set of code. I currently have c4 standard which already gives me full source. I have compared engines and while I like esenthel for certain aspects, budget and lack of full source for much more money pushes me straight back to c4. In the long run I love the content management of esenthel (c4 is a pain), however for a small indie guy like me there just is not any competition.

The other issue I ran into was lack of hw instancing and the roadmap that hits ios before upgrading the engine it self. voxel terrain is a big one as well.

I love the concept of esenthel in many rights, but for now i will have to pass. Wish me luck on my games and maybe someday I can come back and afford esenthel. I don't think your wrong in developing ios first as that is a huge market and i think your engine would compete and beat unity on web and phones / tablets hands down.

It turns out I will have to do about the same amount of coding for the game i'm making either in c4 or esenthel, so a lack of a couple of key features, and mostly access to full source for my current budget will force my hand on this one.

Keep up the good work, i will be watching your engine. I love your interface, editors, content management, data flow, and ease of code, etc.
thanks again.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 09:08 AM by darkelfv.)
05-04-2012 08:53 AM
darkelfv Offline

Wow support for android, new price structure. I might have to get this when I start making games for android. I love the news, and progress that you have made here. Very awesome.
08-14-2012 02:43 PM