About Store Forum Documentation Contact

camera corners and objects
Ezequel Offline

camera corners and objects
Hi,

I noticed something strange with the camera/rendering when the view is turned. I noticed this in every demo and also the world editor.
I would like to know: how to change this in my project or is it caused by my hardware? (ATI radeon HD 6850 M)

Example:
When you look at an object, in the center of the screen. The object looks normal (perspective view) and let's say 100 meters away. When you turn the view (camera), so the same object is seen in one of the corners of the screen, it looks double in size and much closer to the player, like some kind of "fisheye" lens effect, houses can look much closer etc.

Example with screenshots: (look at the moon) Screens are taken from the same point in the world, only the camera/view is turned so the object (moon) displays in a corner of the screen.

[Image: 32286700.th.jpg]

[Image: 49558914.th.jpg]

Thanks in advance.
06-26-2012 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Harry Offline

RE: camera corners and objects
Hi, I'm not sure but maybe play with D.viewFov() for example D.viewFov(60) (or D.viewFov(DegToRad(60)) don't remember smile ) You can put it in InitPre function.

@Edited smile
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2012 01:55 PM by Harry.)
06-26-2012 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

I found that a lower FOV was much nicer-looking. I found that D.viewFov(.2618, FOV_Y)[about 15 degrees] set the camera to view closer to orthographic(which works for me). It makes things seem a bit off in some ways. You'll have to play with it yourself to see if a value works for you. The lower the number, the closer to orthographic the cam is, but the less 'fish-eye' effect you get.
Remember also, the number is in radians, so 60 is redundantly huge. There is a degreeToRad function or macro somewheres, if you'd prefer.
06-27-2012 06:56 AM
Ezequel Offline

Thanks! This solves the fisheye camera effect.
The only issue seems that the astronomical objects (sun and moon) are so huge (when using D.viewFov(.2618, FOV_Y) for example) they don't even fit in the entire screen anymore. I'll test with different parameters and scaling of the sun/moon wink
06-28-2012 01:02 AM
Ezequel Offline

Does anyone has an idea if it is possible to also do this for the world editor?
07-04-2012 08:00 PM
Rubeus Offline

I don't use the editor, but I've seen people saying things about there being an ortho- view. Setting it to ortho should clear that up, but it will also make things look a little different.

This is something I would like to see adjusted/fixed, though.
07-05-2012 12:06 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you have "Field of View/FOV" in Editor/video options/advanced
07-09-2012 01:15 PM
Ezequel Offline

Thanks, that's where I was looking for smile
07-09-2012 03:05 PM