About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Tutorial or tips on using lighting for indoor and outdoor maps
dylantan Offline

Tutorial or tips on using lighting for indoor and outdoor maps
Hi guys,

While we tried very hard to get the mood of the lighting right in both of the Indoor or outdoor, we always have this problem of unable to get it right.

We understand what Esenthel lighting principle and what it can do, but it always feel like we are in either the 2 extreme which is either too bright, or too dark. If we reduce the cone of the light, it feel dull.

We would like to seek Esenthel Community for advance advice/tips and your thought of the best approach to implement lighting in maps especially indoor maps.

What we looking for is similar to:
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/u...piders.jpg
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/u...ection.jpg

Thanks in advance
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 05:13 AM by dylantan.)
07-03-2012 05:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: Tutorial or tips on using lighting for indoor and outdoor maps
My preference is to set a low-level ambient color; blue for night/in caves works for me. I then use cone or point lights to highlight areas and features; such as making the main path brighter so the player knows that is the path they are 'supposed' to take. To get the lighting perfect indoors, you will need a *LOT* of lights. They don't have to be active all at the same time, though, and they don't all have to cast shadows.
07-03-2012 09:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dylantan Offline

RE: Tutorial or tips on using lighting for indoor and outdoor maps
(07-03-2012 09:16 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  My preference is to set a low-level ambient color; blue for night/in caves works for me. I then use cone or point lights to highlight areas and features; such as making the main path brighter so the player knows that is the path they are 'supposed' to take. To get the lighting perfect indoors, you will need a *LOT* of lights. They don't have to be active all at the same time, though, and they don't all have to cast shadows.

Thanks Rudeus for your tips. We also did that but someone how we managed to screw it up lol I will post our latest test dungeon for all to see but right now having some issues with the map and trying hard to fix those first
07-04-2012 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply