About Store Forum Documentation Contact

custom Physbody for characters?
wARmAcH1n3 Offline

custom Physbody for characters?
is it true that characters may have only a physbody capsule? if i try to create custom phsybody for the actor i get this error:

"Character controller can be created only from physbody capsule"

the problem is if i'm in flymode like in the tutorials or Bloody Massacre the player body is like in prone position, but physbody capsule doesn't change/rotate.

this causes to a clip-error by colliding with a wall you can see through the wall, because the camera is in on the head position and the head goes through the wall

this happens without flymode too, in the Bloody Massarce, Esenthel RPG 2 and Tutorials too, if you run at a wall und look down you can see through the wall
08-11-2012 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: custom Physbody for characters?
Yes, Controller is currently limited only to a Capsule.
08-14-2012 02:46 PM
wARmAcH1n3 Offline

to bad, especially for action games

is there a chance that custom phys meshes for character will be available in the future?
08-15-2012 07:58 PM
Zervox Offline

Whats wrong with capsule for action games? sure different controller shapes could be nice but by no means important.
08-15-2012 08:53 PM
wARmAcH1n3 Offline

(08-15-2012 08:53 PM)Zervox Wrote:  Whats wrong with capsule for action games? sure different controller shapes could be nice but by no means important.

if the character player and npc have only a capsule collision model, which doesn't change with the animation of the model, such as prone or flying position the capsule model still is like the model would stand and not prone. that means even if you are lying on the floor, the enemy can just shoot over you and still hit (in a first person shooter for example). the aiming is a important factor in a fps and such a capsule model is to much inaccurate.

but this causes to bigger problems which forced me to give up my game (together with other problems), please read my 1. post, through the static capsule model, you can see throught walls, for a action multiplayer game a game breaking issue.

maybe im too much noob with the esenthel engine but i don't find a way to work around this
08-15-2012 10:32 PM
Shatterstar Offline

because of that limitation, I probably wouldn't choose esenthel for making a fps. if i were making one, i would probably choose unreal game engine. but for RPG games, i believe esenthel is by far the best out there. unless of course you wanted to pay 1500 dollars to unity.
08-15-2012 11:55 PM
Zervox Offline

in FPS games you wouldn't be using the capsule for hit detection, you would create small oriented boxes around the player bones or similar. not supposed to be using any single huge collider for checking physical hits to bullets...(worth mentioning since you mentioned getting hit and aiming..which would be pointless if you only was using one collider object around the player)

creating your own character controller is also possible.

capsule itself is not the issue at hand with seeing through walls, camera positioning is.
thought of recreating capsule as aceio76 mentioned?

you guys are already limiting yourselves by thinking that an engine has such a simple limitation that it would actually BREAK your game before you've started or even tried do some planning to get something working.

in most games I've played, the developers just sets a better suited clipping range, another solution also seen around is that the camera itself isn't lodged in the head of a player, it is colliding and moved back from originated position.
08-16-2012 10:42 PM
wARmAcH1n3 Offline

(08-16-2012 10:42 PM)Zervox Wrote:  in FPS games you wouldn't be using the capsule for hit detection, you would create small oriented boxes around the player bones or similar. not supposed to be using any single huge collider for checking physical hits to bullets...(worth mentioning since you mentioned getting hit and aiming..which would be pointless if you only was using one collider object around the player)

creating your own character controller is also possible.

capsule itself is not the issue at hand with seeing through walls, camera positioning is.
thought of recreating capsule as aceio76 mentioned?

you guys are already limiting yourselves by thinking that an engine has such a simple limitation that it would actually BREAK your game before you've started or even tried do some planning to get something working.

in most games I've played, the developers just sets a better suited clipping range, another solution also seen around is that the camera itself isn't lodged in the head of a player, it is colliding and moved back from originated position.

im to much n00b for this, i break up my idea and went to another smaller game, because i have another 2 problems and i know to less about the engine if its can be fixed or not (the code is based on Blood Massacre).

i focus on a small game and learn more about the engine.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2012 11:05 PM by wARmAcH1n3.)
08-16-2012 11:04 PM