About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Auto Detect Object Types
fatcoder Offline

Auto Detect Object Types
As you know, the current process of adding a new object type to a project looks something like this.

i.e. add type to obj_type.enum, open world editor to recompile obj_type.enum, create object in world editor, set up Memx container in project, add Memx container to scene in project, set up custom class in project for object.

The problem with this process is that many of the steps require changes to the project, which results in a recompile of the exe. This makes it impossible for designers and end-users to add new object types without getting the programmers involved and recompiling. It also makes it impossible to add modding support to a game where modders can add new object types.

I understand that the object system is a large and inherent part of the engine, so it may not be possible to do anything about it in the current architecture. It is just unfortunate that by building your own object system to get around this problem, you in turn lose a large and inherent part of the engine.

So, it would be great if the engine could auto detect object types (perhaps from the obj_type.enum file) and then set up and expose a list of Memx containers to you. New object classes could be written directly in the executable (as per normal), or by designers/modders in a separate .dll and then dynamically loaded by the engine into the executable as needed. You would just need a way then to specify the name of the class to use for an object (and optionally the name of the .dll to load if needed). Perhaps this could be done when setting up the object in the world editor.

Anyway, just some food for thought.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 01:32 AM by fatcoder.)
08-23-2012 01:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Auto Detect Object Types
the thing which I'm working on right now will address the 1st step (it will have integrated "enum+object class" editor)
08-23-2012 04:46 PM
fatcoder Offline

RE: Auto Detect Object Types
I figured you might be working on something related, which is why I posted this now, just in case it gives you some ideas with what you're currently working on.
08-24-2012 01:39 AM