About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Edit Existing Project With Code Editor
AndrewBGS Offline

RE: Edit Existing Project With Code Editor
My guess is the esenthel designer went for efficiency here. With those completly unrecognizable file names, he uses a hash function to quickly access data. Which is probably making the engine a lot more efficient when it has large chunks of resources to handle. So this is very good for the player.
But as the developer, it does indeed suck. Couldn't you replace the ugly UID ....... with a function that calls the hash code for the given object? M.... maybe not, I'll have to think about it, I don't quite understand yet how an engine is made.

My point is those horrible names have a good purpose.
03-15-2013 10:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gwald Offline

(03-15-2013 10:38 PM)fatcoder Wrote:  Not to mention your code is then littered with all these UID's that you have no idea which is which.

Use macros!

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
03-15-2013 10:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

Thanks for the replies guys, but I don't use the code editor. I'm talking about VS. Perhaps it is better when using the code editor (not sure, wouldn't know), but for anyone using VS, you have to stick with v1 I think.

(03-15-2013 10:46 PM)Tottel Wrote:  I just use the code editor and if I need to debug, quickly open it up in VS. It's not optimal, but it works.

One of many reasons why VS is better.
03-15-2013 11:05 PM
uNetti Offline

Hate to correct you, but there isn't really a v1 or v2 of the SDK.
The SDK is the same, you just press update to get the latest.

Editor is for Esenthel scripting, it has both it's bad and good parts. The good is that it can be faster and more efficient. The bad is that it doesn't follow c++ standards or visual studio standards. Example is open files, I haven't really noticed yet a way to see if I have changed the code. A little [*] to the file, in case you accidently edited a file. Which in my case, causes more problems then benefits, since I would need svn to check what I changed in case I made a mistake.

I also don't appreciate how it jumps around on the screen on the side, the side selection could be allot more smooth. I find it impossible to close or keep a "folder/filter" closed like Esenthel Engine green folder, that blocks the view of my other code folders. It is most likely cause a file is open that it wont close, but I can't seam to find a way to close the files, without closing files I am currently working with.
Maybe you just need to get used to press X every time you open a file before you look at the same code in the next? But it is hard to change habits.
03-16-2013 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Randya8 Offline

I have to agree with fatcoder. I feel like I am being forced to use code editor, when I prefer to stick with VS.
03-19-2013 12:45 AM