About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Editor 2.0
Fab4 Offline

RE: Esenthel Editor 2.0
Looks very cool so far, but I think the only weakness of Esenthel is still the Material Editor. I don't know if its even possible with your engine headers but a Material Editor like UDK is using would be imo the most awesome feature.
>>click<<
simple functions can be added and (for example rotations and so on) and a lot of cool effects can be done in short time.

Only this editor would be worth the end price for me.

To the previous discussions: I think there is no problem with the prices of the new editor. As someone said before it is only the editor. The old editor can still be used. I see it more as a stand alone add on.
I think that most people forget that its hours of work to create such an engine and the proper tools, so not everything can be for free. Even much more expensive product make such releases, but I also can understand that noone wants to pay the price three or four times.
The only thing I am missing atm is a demo for this editor for 1 month free usage for licensed users. Because at the moment I dont want to spend 100€ without a try.
09-30-2012 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shatterstar Offline

I hope i dont make anybody mad for posting here because im not a licenced developer yet. (though i will be very soon.)

I have a few things to say to the developers before i say anything to Esenthel.
Yvanvds, I have to agree with you. a licence is only good for one project, and Esenthel is giving people a reasonable amount of time to finish your project. after that, a new licence would be needed anyway. So i believe Esenthel is being more than reasonable. Plus, Esenthel is giving you upgrades before he decides to make the 1.0 obsolete.
Yvanvds, thanks for your contribution by the way. you post alot of good code.

Now, what i have to say to Esenthel-
I would like to see a way to change the volocities of water flow. that way each river i make can flow at different speeds. This is important because people would instantly see some of the power of the new engine. I mean, how could someone not take notice of something like that. you would run upon a river and say, "okay, cool. A river." then you run upon the next river, and you would be like, "holy-crap! this river is going extreamly fast! this is way Cool!
i believe this new game engine needs something like that. something that will inspire future game developers to want to try this engine.
09-30-2012 02:28 PM
Rubeus Offline

(09-30-2012 02:28 PM)Shatterstar Wrote:  I would like to see a way to change the volocities of water flow. that way each river i make can flow at different speeds. This is important because people would instantly see some of the power of the new engine. I mean, how could someone not take notice of something like that. you would run upon a river and say, "okay, cool. A river." then you run upon the next river, and you would be like, "holy-crap! this river is going extreamly fast! this is way Cool!
This is already on the roadmap.
10-01-2012 02:23 AM
Shatterstar Offline

I'm glad to hear that.
how about lip synch with a rigged face. it would be great to have an editor that could take a rigged face and match it to a sound file.
The source engine has this, though to get a licence for this engine is probably in the thousands. but if esenthel could do this, this would be awesome.
here is the link. http://www.moddb.com/engines/source/tuto...3-lip-sync
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 02:55 AM by Shatterstar.)
10-01-2012 02:50 AM
sivan Offline

a (30 day) trial version would be fine (or a feature limited). imo it has good new features. but without undo/redo I do not buy it, I make too many mistakes smile
10-02-2012 09:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
matty47 Offline

Well I hope that Esenthel 2 is an engine (eventually) as well as a new editor. I purchased version 2 today and think that the move to per seat licence is a good move, for me a single developer anyway. My only concern would be that I use both Mac and Win 7 and obviously I would need to use the Mac to generate IOS apps, so if I use my Win computer is my single licence transferable/ usable on my Mac as well?
Anyway looking forward to seeing Esenthel 2 coming to fruition (soon.........)
10-07-2012 10:22 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes you will be able to do programming and temporarily transfer license to mac on 2.0
10-07-2012 10:28 AM
zomafish Offline

I would love to see side projected textures.
and ground cover that is placed based on the texture on the ground.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 03:48 PM by zomafish.)
10-10-2012 03:48 PM
Shatterstar Offline

i would just like to see it more finished...lol
when are we to expect the next build for the 2.0 to come out?
10-11-2012 11:22 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

After last release I've added few small things, and now I am working on integrating Code Editor and C++ programming, but it will take some time.
10-11-2012 11:41 AM
Shatterstar Offline

thanks for the reply. yeah, i would work on getting all of the basics finished, all of the features that are in the 1.0 finished and then i would go from there. I also suggest that eventually 1.0 stop getting upgrades and only 2.0 gets worked on. that way everyone will feel like they are getting something extra for there money.

oh, yeah, and another thing. if buying 2.0 automatically comes with a per-seat license with it, i would like to see it say license developer below my name. thank you.
10-11-2012 12:17 PM
Tottel Offline

I think a procedural painting brush would be awesome to have, so you can assign materials to the terrain, based on the angle of the normals.

For example:
- All flat terrain (angle 0 - 20): Texture 1
- Slightly sloped (angle 20 - 40): Texture 2
- etc

Then you just paint over terrain, and it assigns the materials.

Of course, you would be able to assign the texture and the angle for each step.
12-14-2012 12:32 AM
fatcoder Offline

Couldn't agree with aceio76 more. VS has been around for 20 years and is the only real choice for a serious programmer. I know I'll never use anything else.

If someone is so new to game programming (or programming in general), that they cannot fiddle with some VS settings and have to rely on the code editor, then to be quite honest, they probably shouldn't be trying to build a game.

I just think that this is what attracts kids to the forums wanting to build the next WoW, and not serious developers that use a serious IDE and want a good engine.

Just my opinion.
12-17-2012 01:43 AM
yvanvds Offline

I second that, Aceio.

I'd like to add that debugging is a bit cumbersome with the current state of the the code editor. (Having to open up VS studio and such, it slows things down.)

I do use the code editor in my programming class, because for beginning programmers it really makes things a bit easier. No header files, no includes, almost no pointer notation, the ability to look up a class just with a middle mouse click... that all helps a lot for beginners. But i would be reluctant to use it for a real program, even though being able to compile for different platform without additional fuss is tempting.

I always wonder how a single person is able to extend himself over so many parts of an engine, but only Gregory is able to judge if he has the time/need to do that.

But I do not think developing for multiple platforms is something you only have to worry about in the beginning. I made an android version of my project half a year ago, but going back and forth between eclipse and VS was so much trouble that i decided to wait with the android version until the windows code is finished. The code editor would solve that. But leaving VS behind me would also have disadvantages, as you pointed out.

Edit: Perhaps a plugin functionality could help. This is a small but beautiful game engine with a great community. Although we all have our own projects, i for one would not mind to spend a few days adding some functionallity that i need and others might also benefit from. I already try to post some code from time to time, but there's a difference between code examples and easy to use plugins. Seeing that so many people are willing to answer support questions (i am not good at that, sorry), I imagine that the possiblity to write plugins for the editor or the library could stimulate a lot of people to give something back. It might be more useful and manageble than the community project we tried last year.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 02:13 AM by yvanvds.)
12-17-2012 01:54 AM
yvanvds Offline

@Fatcoder because your post was posted while i was writing mine :-)

Although most 'kids' obviously don't know how to program, most of them are really not so drugged that they think they can create the next WoW. (yes, we all know the exceptions from the questions asked on this forum now and then.)

But for 'kids' interested in learning how to program, making a visually attractive program can be a lot more motivating compared to writing small console programs. Think of yourself when you were 17. You want to be able to show off to your parents and friends and say 'look, i made this myself.' And if esenthel can offer that without dumbing it down, all the better.

More important, when those 'kids' learned the basics and want to make a real game, they are more likely to choose esenthel for their game engine. So in that way, it does makes sense for esenthel to make things a bit more easy for 'kids' (aged 15 to 18 in my head).
12-17-2012 02:55 AM