About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Newbie quest
LykosEpp Offline

Newbie quest
Hi i'm doing a project for my degree and i must use esenthel. Still i am on first steps but i have some difficulties trying to overlap.
I've never used Visual basic or esenthel before, so i have some problems.
i) I did exactly what tutorials (documentation) says trying to create "My First Project" but there are errors. I have the latest version of visual studio (2012). Is that the problem?

ii) As a first step in my project i should add a heightmap and export it as an executional (.exe) file. I'm trying to do it through visual basic isn't that right? Also can i add the heightmap in my world only by code without using the editor?

Thanks!
11-13-2012 01:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

RE: Newbie quest
Well, first off, Esenthel uses C++, not Visual Basic. That will most certainly give you issues.

I'd try getting Visual Studio for C++ and see if that fixes your problem.

I've not had any trouble using Visual Studio 2012, however, if it is giving you trouble you can grab Visual Studio Express 2010 for C++ from Microsoft's Website.

If it still doesn't work, try opening the Tutorials Solution in (Default Esenthel Directory)/Tutorials and see if that runs.

If you are new to C++ then I'd suggest you glance at the tutorials at cplusplus.com.
11-13-2012 02:55 AM
Tottel Offline

What runewake2 said, make sure you have Visual Studio for C++.

If you're using Visual Studio 2012, right click your solution on the left side in visual studio(it's at the top) and select 'Update projects' or something similar.
This will update the projects to be compatible with VS 2012.

However, now you'll get a linker error complaining about SAFESEH; no worries, easy to fix.
1. Right click your project (not your solution! it's just below, it should just be called "tutorials") in visual studio and select "properties"
2. Open the "Linker" dropdown and select Command Line
3. At the bottom (additional options), paste this after whatever is already there: "/SAFESEH:NO" (without the "" of course)
4. press "Ok" and rebuild.

For your second question, you can add a heightmap both through code and the editor. For the editor, it's in the documentation file (press F1 in the editor), for the code it's in the tutorials/Source folder.
11-13-2012 07:58 AM
LykosEpp Offline

(11-13-2012 07:58 AM)Tottel Wrote:  What runewake2 said, make sure you have Visual Studio for C++.

If you're using Visual Studio 2012, right click your solution on the left side in visual studio(it's at the top) and select 'Update projects' or something similar.
This will update the projects to be compatible with VS 2012.

However, now you'll get a linker error complaining about SAFESEH; no worries, easy to fix.
1. Right click your project (not your solution! it's just below, it should just be called "tutorials") in visual studio and select "properties"
2. Open the "Linker" dropdown and select Command Line
3. At the bottom (additional options), paste this after whatever is already there: "/SAFESEH:NO" (without the "" of course)
4. press "Ok" and rebuild.

For your second question, you can add a heightmap both through code and the editor. For the editor, it's in the documentation file (press F1 in the editor), for the code it's in the tutorials/Source folder.

OK i fix what you said about SAFESEH and tutorials did work.. Thanks smile

Although, i try to create My Game and when i debug i keep taking a message that sais:
Unable to start program 'C:\My Game\Debug\My Game.exe
System could not find the specific file
Any ideas what's wrong?
11-14-2012 04:55 PM
Skykill Offline

The directory Visual Studio look to find the exe for debugging probably, check if the project "right click on it > Properties > Debugging > Command" have the value "$(TargetPath)". This can happend if you modify the "Output Directory" in "General". If this don't fix the problem, look at "Linker > General" if the value "Output File" is "$(OutDir)$(TargetName)$(TargetExt)".
11-14-2012 07:09 PM
LykosEpp Offline

OK thanks skykill.It was the second one at linker.Although,my programm in visual basic works fine when i try to run the .exe it sais that cannot find engine.pak!

Now i come again to the second question i've maked at the beggining. I want to import a heightmap and work that as a terrain in my little world. I should do that in visual studio or in esenthel and after import it someway in VS?
11-14-2012 09:59 PM
Skykill Offline

Like runewake2 has say Esenthel use C++ not visual basic pfft. For that error it's because you need to modify the path where the file "engine.pak" is located you will find the function "Paks.add("../data/engine.pak")" in InitPre() of the code. You will find that file in "EsenthelEngineSDK\Data", like, if you want the file to be where the exe is, so you need to change the function to Paks.add("engine.pak") smile.

For your 2nd question i don't realy know since i don't use the editor, it should be related, but this has nothing to do with Visual studio since this program is just for code smile.

Take a look at this but i don't think it's what you want http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?t...htmap_mode .
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 04:27 AM by Skykill.)
11-15-2012 04:23 AM
cmontiel Offline

If you have the heightmap as texture, in Esenthel editor you can use Heightmap->Import Height.

If you have the heightmap as 3d model, you should export to collada (.dae) or fbx and then import in model editor. You will get a file modelname.mesh. Then you can add this model as object into a new world and load the world by code with visual Studio. There are tutorials for loading worlds.

You will need to create the physics too. Anyway you should create heighmaps with world editor directly because the engine has specific optimizations.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 09:46 AM by cmontiel.)
11-15-2012 09:44 AM
LykosEpp Offline

(11-15-2012 09:44 AM)cmontiel Wrote:  If you have the heightmap as texture, in Esenthel editor you can use Heightmap->Import Height.

If you have the heightmap as 3d model, you should export to collada (.dae) or fbx and then import in model editor. You will get a file modelname.mesh. Then you can add this model as object into a new world and load the world by code with visual Studio. There are tutorials for loading worlds.

You will need to create the physics too. Anyway you should create heighmaps with world editor directly because the engine has specific optimizations.

I have created the world in Esenthel Editor but i want it as an executable. This is done through VS right?
For that reason i want to put the world i make in the VS and i don't know how. If i load a tutorial that already has a world how can a change the tutorial's world and put mine? What is the easiest way?
11-16-2012 12:53 AM
cmontiel Offline

You have a pm

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
11-16-2012 09:42 AM