About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Create a New Project from scratch
thiezar Offline

Create a New Project from scratch
Hello everybody.
I'm trying to read Esenthel documentation but I found it quite poor :-/
Here it's described how to create a new project by copying the Tutorial one. But what if I want to create a new project from scratch?
Could someone show me what steps am I supposed to do to create a new VC++ 2010 Express project that works with Esenthel Engine?
12-11-2012 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: Create a New Project from scratch
12-11-2012 02:22 PM
thiezar Offline

I already read that page but I'm a bit confused. I see only a bunch of configurations but I don't know where and how to set them.

Will I have to open VC++, create a new empty project, then, under Project -> Properties, will I have to set those configurations in the right place and I'm done? Is it right? Then I just have to write .cpp files in the Source directory like the Tutorial ones?
12-11-2012 02:45 PM
Tottel Offline

That's exactly why you should start from the template: To not get confused. smile

But yes, you'll have to set the properties manually, and you'll be good to go.
12-11-2012 03:12 PM
thiezar Offline

Well, the reason I'm avoiding to start from the template is to understand how things work. I was hoping documentation would have helped me in this but it is quite summary and not so detailed. I hope it will be a better documentation in future because I think Esenthel is a good Engine and deserves a good documentation.

Anyway, thank your answers, now I know where to start from :-)
12-11-2012 03:19 PM
Zervox Offline

In this case, you shouldn't state that the documentation of how to create a project with EE is poor. Your problem lies in knowledge of Visual Studio project settings.
12-11-2012 03:21 PM
thiezar Offline

That is for sure, Zervox: I don't know anything about Visual Studio :-p
Anyway it's three days I'm reading the documentation and, maybe it's me, but I find it poor, not only about how to create a project. On the other hand I did appreciate very much all the tutorials and their organization. They're very useful.
As a beginner I found it easy to understand the programming structure thanks to tutorials but quite difficult and confusing to understand how the editor and source files work together. In few words I have difficulties on starting from scratch without editing existing projects.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 04:25 PM by thiezar.)
12-11-2012 04:19 PM
thiezar Offline

I'm sorry for the flooding but I still can't create my project.

- I create a D:\MyGames\Test folder and a Data subfolder.
- I open VC++ 2010 Express and create a new Win32 Project (is it the correct type of project?)
VC++ creates some folder structure and some files in the Explorer. In particular a folder called "Source files" with two files stdafx.cpp and Test.cpp.
- I change project settings manually according to the documentation instructions.
- I substitute the default code in Test.cpp with the code of the first tutorial 01-Start.cpp.
- I run the project and I get errors like 'App': undeclared identifier or 'Paks': undeclared identifier.

It seems to me it is not linked to Esenthel libraries.

What am I missing? Please, someone could explain to me in detail how to create a clean New Project for Esenthel from scratch?
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 07:19 PM by thiezar.)
12-11-2012 07:19 PM
Rubeus Offline

The thing is, the tutorials ARE new clean projects. Erase the code, and change the names and you have your own working project. Setting up a new project from scratch isn't difficult, but involved and requires knowledge of VS.
Just copy and paste over the tutorial project and use that for a base. You won't be getting any kind of profound understanding by setting it up by yourself.
12-11-2012 08:27 PM
thiezar Offline

Ok. Got it. I'll use the tutorials. Sorry for being insistent.
12-11-2012 09:10 PM
dylantan Offline

Welcome to EE forum thiezar. I think you will enjoy it here and you will learn alot from making game with EE, but having said that, it may need you to experiment with various things and work out things bits by bits and you will eventually get you there (of course depending on how complex if your project). Feel free to ask questions here if you are stuck, and I am confident that the good community and even Esenthel himself may try to answer or help you. That's how we survived and managed to work on our project till now. Working on games sometime requires asking the right questions and seek help from others smile Good luck with your game
12-12-2012 01:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

EE 2.0 will totally remove the hassle of VS projects/settings and project data management.

Also you may want to try Code Editor from EE 1.0 (removes VS project/settings hassle), but does not do automatic project data packaging as 2.0 does.
There are 3 short tutorials for the Code Editor included in the SDK.
12-14-2012 01:51 PM
thiezar Offline

Thank you Esenthel for your reply.
I'm using the tutorial template at the moment, following other users suggestion. Anyway, I'm looking forward for Esenthel 2.0. I'm sure it will be great.
I've got a free license now, but I have to admit this is an axcellent engine, especially for indie developers like me so I'm thinking of buiyng the Alpha version for Christmas :-)
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2012 08:45 PM by thiezar.)
12-14-2012 08:45 PM