About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Need simple help with custom chacacter
thiezar Offline

Need simple help with custom chacacter
I made my own character with idle and walking animation.
I tried to use it in "Charachter" tutorial replacing default animations, but I got some problems:
  1. My charachter's pivot point is at his feet so now he's floating in the air because his physic capsule has pivot point in the middle.
    How do I put it on the floor? [SOLVED]
  2. I made my charachter facing the positive Y axis so when I use it in Esenthel he's facing the camera instead of look in the camera direction.
    How do I let him face the right direction?
  3. When I look with the camera up and down my charachter's head moves. I think is an original Chr class behavior.
    How do I avoid this?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I solved the first point creating a physic body in the model editor and assigning it as a custom physic body in the Player class (a custom class extending Chr class)
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 03:44 PM by thiezar.)
12-16-2012 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

RE: Need simple help with custom chacacter
about 2:

Use model editor -> mesh -> transform -> rotateY
12-17-2012 07:58 PM
thiezar Offline

@yvanvds Thank you for your answer. When I rotate the mesh in the Model Editor only the mesh rotates, while the skeleton keeps it's original rotation and I can't rotate the skeleton in the Model Editor.
Anyway. Is this the correct way to rotate a charachter? Isn't there a way to do it using C++? I can't figure it out.
Maybe there are specific settings (rotation, scale, direction,...) to keep in mind while making a model for Esenthel an an external 3D software.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2012 09:22 PM by thiezar.)
12-17-2012 09:21 PM
yvanvds Offline

If you use the normal human skeleton that comes with esenthel, it should already point in the right direction. Normally, the skeleton as well as the mesh should look to you in frontal view. Perhaps test that when you import your model. If it's not right on import, you might want to export differently.

But i'm a programmer, not a 3D artist.

In code, you can of course set the camera in the opposite direction and invert all your movements, but that's a rather ugly fix. I think that, if you're serious about this, you'd better change the source of the problem, i.e. the way that it's imported the wrong way. It's a bit more work, but the result is much cleaner.
12-17-2012 10:05 PM
thiezar Offline

I was thinking more on rotate the Player object on its instantiation instead of adjust the camera. Anyway you're right, maybe I should just fix the original model before the importing.
12-17-2012 11:37 PM