About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Orthographic view
gdalex Offline

Orthographic view
Hello,

I am interested in using Esenthel for a MMO project of mine which one of the main feature is the fixed orthographic view.
I've read in these forums that ortho view is enable in the World Editor but disable for the rest of the engine because the some of the shaders you use don't support such a projection.
You advised users to set camera's fov/yaw/pitch/roll combination that "feels like" orthographic, yet I fear it wouldn't be enough for my project because orthographic view is an important part of my gameplay system.

Wouldn't it be possible to enable the ortho projection in Esenthel even if some shaders have to be deactivated ?
Can you tell me what kind of shaders are impacted by the ortho projection ? Maybe I am not interested in them... And if I am, I could find a way the implement them with a ortho-compliant source code smile

Thanks,
Alex
02-19-2013 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Orthographic view
Hi,

The lighting generally would not work entirely correctly, there might be more but I would need to spend time to investigate that.

Have you tried setting really low FOV? It should help a lot.

Maybe you could post some screens of your project with different fov values, I'm interested in what you're developing.
02-19-2013 01:36 PM
gdalex Offline

Sure, I'll try to do that tonight smile
02-19-2013 01:53 PM
gdalex Offline

Okay, I set up a small scene to explain to you to my orthographic need smile

[Image: esenthelld.jpg]
On this first screen, the character "Orren" is hidden with by the wall.
When I am moving my character to the right, thanks to the perspective, Orren is getting revealed :
[Image: esenthvyv.jpg]

The ortho projection is what I want, because when the character move, the perspective isn't deformed, and a character (without x-ray shader smile ) would still be hidden smile

(example :
[Image: ortho1.jpg] [Image: ortho2.jpg] )

My current camera settings are :
Cam.pitch=-PI_4*0.8
D.viewFov(DegToRad(45));
I tried a smaller fov, yet the camera is therefor really zoomed, and zooming out to get back to the desired distance camera-character leads to mipmap/lod issues...

Please, Esenthel, release the ortho projectioooooooooooooon ! wink
02-20-2013 12:48 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

The screens look cool
Quote:I tried a smaller fov, yet the camera is therefor really zoomed, and zooming out to get back to the desired distance camera-character leads to mipmap/lod issues...
Did you actually test this?
I've designed LOD system to work well with camera distance and FOV, both factors should be taken into account.
And mipmap texturing also should not be a problem.
02-20-2013 03:05 PM
gdalex Offline

Thanks smile

Yes I tried, and I did noticed (a few) differences. Quick example the character's hands open after a certain distance.
Is it possible to get a shot with the ortho projection with Esenthel, to see if the missing shaders are a problem to me ? Because the editor rendering result in Ortho already matches my needs smile
02-20-2013 03:21 PM
gdalex Offline

Hello Esenthel,
Did you find the time to test the enabling of ortho view in the SDK, or has it be added to your roadmap ?
Thanks ! wink
02-25-2013 08:44 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

The hands can be easily fixed by adjusting
Bool EE::Game::Chr::animateFingers()

Source code for game object classes is included in EE 2.0 license
02-26-2013 01:18 PM
gdalex Offline

Thanks for the tip tool, but I have to admit I am a little less interested in that feature than the orthographic projection pfft
02-26-2013 02:01 PM