About Store Forum Documentation Contact

what type of audio is in esenthel engine
lilmike Offline

what type of audio is in esenthel engine
Hi,
I am primary an audio game developer meaning very few graphics, and almost entirely sound. However, for this to work, I need the ability to position sound, at least in the left and right speakers, preferably with a simple pan control, and also in 3d with virtualization if possible. Does esenthel do this E.G. does it have a pan control for audio, and/or do 3d audio?
Also, is it possible to do everything from within code E.G. c++, without touching a drag and drop editor or anything like that? I am blind, so drag and drop editors are generally no go.
Thanks,
-Michael.
01-19-2013 01:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lilmike Offline

RE: what type of audio is in esenthel engine
Hi,
Thanks. As it uses openAl, I'm assuming that it doesn't have a built in pan control E.G. set pan from anywhere from 1.0 to -1.0 full right to full left, or -100 to 100 or whatever. Just was making sure, as even with openAl there are ways of writing your own pan control. As to my other question, does this engine require something on par with unity3d's interface where you drag and drop objects, etc and coding is a slightly lesser portion of the design? I ask because, as i said, I am blind, and I obviously could not do a drag and drop interface very well pfft. However if every single bit of configuration and use of the engine can be done through code then I'd suppose I'm game (no pun intended).
Thanks,
-Michael.
01-19-2013 04:32 AM
Rubeus Offline

RE: what type of audio is in esenthel engine
Yes, everything can be done through code, so you do not need to use the editor at all.
As for sounds, the engine uses 3D positional audio, so there is really not much reason to use panning; the panning is done automatically as the listener moves around the source of the sound. You will probably need to use the YSE for any advanced options.
You can see what's available by downloading and installing the engine and checking out the sound related headers.
01-19-2013 07:27 PM