About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Multiple questions
LykosEpp Offline

Multiple questions
I've been using esenthel 3 months now for a project for my university.. Although i have some questions more..

1)Can i add multiple heightmaps through the code? I have for example 100 heightmaps saved as image.I should add each one to the editor then save them as .world and then load them in C++ or there is a way to add them automatically through C++? IF yes how can i specifie each ones position?

2)If i have created the heightmap and want to add some simple objects trees for example i must do it with the brash in editor mode? Is there another way?

3)Is there a way to change the terrain texture without using the editor in some places? For example if the altitude is bigger than "X" put snow not grass.

4)Finally, if i want the terrain change dynamically what i must do? For example if an explosion happens and i want the terrain become black how can i do that?

Thanks anyway!
12-12-2012 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Multiple questions
1. Do you mean all of the heightmaps placed in the same world?

2. You could place them randomly (get the heightmap height at random XZ position), but do you need to? Why not just import all the heightmaps in the editor and save each as a world. Maybe you should tell us what you're trying to do first..

3. Procedural texturing.. You could do that with a custom shader (even check slope, .. as well)

4. Check the "Decal" tutorial
12-13-2012 08:18 PM
runewake2 Offline

To add to what Tottel said: The editor does not have an easy way to texture based on altitude. However, their is a brush that works for slope. I've personally used this to add rocky terrain to mountains and sand to beaches. Inesis also demonstrates that you can change or place textures in game. However, I wouldn't recommend this.
12-14-2012 08:12 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Also, if you are able to fork over 500$ (it was still 750$ in my case), you can get hold of a company license and get some sources to the Editor, enough to create a "custom editor".....

With this you can create new kinds of brushes, or, if you're lazy like me, an automatic texturizer.
Sadly mine is still in development, and still has some teething problems, but besides some problems with the logic (I'm a better at programming than mathematics wink ), it does what I want: texturize the terrain on some rules, slope for rocks, and underslope for rubble in my case.
But creating an automatic routine just for altitude would be much simpler I reckon, you could do it in an hour or so.
12-14-2012 08:28 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

"partial editor source code" is no longer available for sale for new customers as it is only EE 1.0 related.
Now I am focusing on EE 2.0 finishing, and for the moment I do not know if it will have custom programming for the terrain allowed.
12-14-2012 02:02 PM
LykosEpp Offline

(12-13-2012 08:18 PM)Tottel Wrote:  1. Do you mean all of the heightmaps placed in the same world?

2. You could place them randomly (get the heightmap height at random XZ position), but do you need to? Why not just import all the heightmaps in the editor and save each as a world. Maybe you should tell us what you're trying to do first..

4. Check the "Decal" tutorial

1. Yes i want all in the same world.

2. I want to create a very big terrain with heightmaps that i already have. I must place them in the world one by one through the editor or is there another way to define the exact place of each heightmap through the code?

4.OK i cannot understand how this can help..Something more specific plz?

Happy new year!grin
01-07-2013 04:06 AM
LykosEpp Offline

My problem is that i am trying to create a very large world that it is not possible to do everything i want through the editor. These things i ask above is it possible to do them without the editor?
01-27-2013 03:04 PM