About Store Forum Documentation Contact

failing to create Direct3D
Sabrewulf Offline

failing to create Direct3D
Hi,
i just downloaded the free sdk version and tried to run one of the sample and got the above error. Is there a way to force the engine use OpenGL instead?
My aim is to run my game later on Android/iOS, so i am not interested in Direct3D at all. (OpenGL ES 2.x is what i want go for).

My development enviroment is inside vmware and i am using VS 2008.

With the free version i want to prototype a bit and go for Esenthel 2.x version later.

BTW.:
would you advice to start with
"Esenthel Engine 2.0 (Beta)
Full version of Esenthel Engine 2.0"
?
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 01:41 PM by Sabrewulf.)
02-01-2013 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: failing to create Direct3D
Hello,

Yes I deeply recommend starting with EE 2.0, it's much easier to use.

Android/iOS/Mac always uses OpenGL.
Windows always uses DX9/10+.

If it won't start then probably you can't use vmware.
02-01-2013 05:53 PM
Sabrewulf Offline

So i can start immediatly create games for windows, android and ios wit EE2.0?
Are the limitations for mobile platform in the wiki also valid for EE2.0?
Can the same c++ code being used for all the platforms?
I am specially interested in light and shadows, still doable with 2.0 on mobile?
The block type, is it somehow comparable with voxel libs like polyvox?
02-03-2013 11:17 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(02-03-2013 11:17 AM)Sabrewulf Wrote:  So i can start immediatly create games for windows, android and ios wit EE2.0?
Yes, however for Mac+iOS you need to have a mac for development, and also you'd need to wait for update available to EE 2.0 (soon) because at the moment I provide versions only for Win+Android
Quote:Are the limitations for mobile platform in the wiki also valid for EE2.0?
yes, it has the same limitations
Quote:Can the same c++ code being used for all the platforms?
Yes, all platforms use the same api, it's especially easy to use when you work with Code Editor
Quote:I am specially interested in light and shadows, still doable with 2.0 on mobile?
sorry, shadows on mobile are not yet supported, you could however setup custom pre-made lightmaps for models (setting this will be available in next 2.0 version, I've already implemented it, now it's waiting for it to be uploaded)
Quote:The block type, is it somehow comparable with voxel libs like polyvox?
sorry I'm not familiar with other libraries, you can download the ee 2.0 for free and check it out
02-03-2013 11:30 AM
Sabrewulf Offline

Thx for your answers!

Quote:you can download the ee 2.0 for fre
Whats the difference to the 99$ version? (besides publishing games ...)

I noticed that there are .h and .lib files with free 2.0 version but no samples or solution files. Will samples and solution from 1.0 work with this? Are there more files coming with the 99$ version?

As for features (lights, shadows, ...) i wonder if modern mobile devices (e.g. Samsung S3) could handle this. I am not interested in older devices.

To be honest, i am not much interested in EE-Scripting. I need to know if i can go with visual studio and c++ for win and android.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 09:13 PM by Sabrewulf.)
02-03-2013 09:12 PM
Donik Offline

(02-03-2013 09:12 PM)Sabrewulf Wrote:  As for features (lights, shadows, ...) i wonder if modern mobile devices (e.g. Samsung S3) could handle this.
Shadows are sadly not possible, BUT:
You can decide between the "simple" and the "forward" renderer.
The simple renderer does not support normalmapping, but it is fast as hell.
The forward renderer looks almost like on the PC, minus the shadows. Runs well on my Galaxy S3, but you can see that the Galaxy Tab 2 is too weak to display bigger scenes with good frame rate (that is in forward rendering mode).

(02-03-2013 09:12 PM)Sabrewulf Wrote:  To be honest, i am not much interested in EE-Scripting. I need to know if i can go with visual studio and c++ for win and android.

You should really give the code editor a try. I'm loving Visual Studio and i was not willing to change it for anything...that was 4 weeks ago. Now i own Esenthel for just over a month and i'm in love with the code editor.

Just don't be scared by the term "Esenthel Script", it's almost pure C++.
It does some things in the background which you would have to do yourself in Visual Studio, to make sure it compiles for Windows and Android.

Compiling for my smartphone (Galaxy S3), my tablet (Galaxy Tab 2) and PC is simply a matter of selecting "Windows" or "Android" and press build.
I was very sceptic about that in the beginning, but it works so well that i can't be bothered to set that up in Visual Studio myself.
02-03-2013 10:44 PM
Sabrewulf Offline

Thx for your answer.
the code editor is nice, but i would still like to go with visual studio, so i decided to use VS.
The question is: will i be able to deploy to Android with the code editor?
I noticed that there is code-editor to vs exporter, but not the other direction.

btw: where is the documentation of EE? or is the wiki the doc?
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 02:06 PM by Sabrewulf.)
02-04-2013 02:05 PM
Donik Offline

AFAIK there is no way from VS to the code editor, but i'm pretty new, so i could be wrong.

I always have a second instance of the editor open, where i can browse the tutorials and code base. That way, even when working with VS, you have the "documentation" always at hand.
You can click with the middle mouse button on any variable, class or struct instance and it will take you to the definition of said instance. Using the right mouse button gets you back to where you were before.
02-04-2013 05:03 PM