About Store Forum Documentation Contact

changes in converting images?
yvanvds Offline

changes in converting images?
Hey,

are there any recent changes in the way images are converted to gfx? I tend to use software images to mark gamezones or special locations. This is quite easy because i can just check for the color of the pixel that corresponds to the player position, for example. And I can just 'paint' what should go where, with the worldmap as a background layer.

But I notice now that my colors are not correct anymore. The primary ones are ok, but others are often wrong. For example when i use 127 as a red value, it sometimes read out as 128, the next pixel 126 and another one 123.

I tried creating my images in photoshop as well as the gimp. Both behave like this and they didn't do so before.

Is this behaviour on purpose?

Regards,

yvan
02-16-2013 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: changes in converting images?
Are you using compression? DXT format? Recently I've added dithering algorithm, however it should only affect DXT/PVRTC/ETC compressed formats.

More information about what steps are you taking in creating GFX files and reading them would be helpful. (step by step repro case, with sample image files gfx/png, etc will be useful)
02-17-2013 12:27 AM
yvanvds Offline

RE: changes in converting images?
That must be it. Your dithering algorithm of course changes the exact color value. I was using DXT3, to avoid blurry alpha.

I have reconverted the images to r8g8b8a8 and now they work just fine. It only takes some extra disk space.

Regards,

yvan
02-17-2013 05:02 PM