About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Introduction and Ineisis source world question.
jwilde464 Offline

Introduction and Ineisis source world question.
Hi, this is my first post on these forums.

Alittle about me, I'm 25 and from the UK, unfortunately unlike several of the members here I don't have a games development background, I unlike many of my friends, ended up going towards the military straight out of school (16) instead.

Anyway, over the years and various tours etc I've collected, wrote up and collated many ideas that I've wanted to eventually put into an online game. With this constant idea in mind I've finally been able, in the past year, to start and read up and learn c++ from various books, "Beginning C++ through Game Programming" being 1 of them. I have also decided to download the esenthel 2.0 editor and the Ineisis source, I know it's like throwing myself into a fire, however I'm a firm believer of the "baptism of fire" method.

I know alot of people on various forums get annoyed by others giving this type of introduction "hi I have no experience, lets create biggest MMORPG ever", but that is not my intention and I believe it'd be stupid of me to even think like that. What I'm wanting to create is basically a small RPG that can be played by several people over the internet, at least until I have alot more experience, then expand it from there.

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask, the first being:

How much work is required to change the world from 1 that is generated automatically as a blank sheet to it being created the same way it is in the rest of the sources.

Also are there any members who are willing to help out with various tasks, mainly programming at the moment until I gain more experience and if so what type of price should I be looking at. I understand it'd vary on the task, but a rough price comparison would be brilliant.

To finish I'd like to say thanks for reading and any information given would be greatly appreciated.
02-27-2013 12:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Introduction and Ineisis source world question.
Hey there, welcome to the forums. smile

I know you indeed don't want to hear this, but if you're new to C++ do nót make an online RPG.
I'm not trying to be annoying. But stop right there.

.. Stop and read this again: Do not make an online RPG.

I know all too well that it's easy to skip advice, but please do listen to this. pfft
C++ programming is very hard at first, and starting out with networking and an RPG right away will pretty much guarantee you won't succeed at this.

I would recommend making a small singleplayer game first. smile

For your world question: For an RPG? A whole lot. For a simple game, not so much. Your world will be filled up with several different things: The world itself, which you sculpt, texture, fill with trees, .. and you'll probably also spawn objects through code. So it's a mix of several approaches.

But really now, make something small. grin
02-27-2013 12:56 AM
fatcoder Offline

Couldn't agree with Tottle more on this one... your idea is still "too big." I personally wouldn't attempt an online rpg as a first project (I might now, but I've been writing c++ for 15+ years). This applies to everyone, when you're first starting out, if your idea has the word "multiplayer" in it, scrap it.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 01:59 AM by fatcoder.)
02-27-2013 01:54 AM
gwald Offline

Hi welcome smile
Yeah, I can say game programming is the hardest programming out there!
You're young and you know discipline, so commit to going through the tuts and leave MMO!

Know the sh*t out of it, read/print the tuts & headers & chm file from v1.

Next, create a new app and borrow code/ideas from the tuts, keep it simple.
Do another one and add to it.
Keep working your way up the ranks.

I think most here are indie and have day jobs.. so if you get stuck, use trial and error.. search google/forums/document.chm & c:\esethenelv2 folder.

Search & Read every*freaking*thing!!!

If after a day or of not progressing, ask here smile

Just out of curiosity, why a C++ based engine? there's a lot of engines you don't need to program!

Welcome and best of luck grin

PS: Print/Read/Search!!

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
02-27-2013 04:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jwilde464 Offline

Thanks for all the advice.

To answer gwald's question about why I've chosen an engine that requires programming, it's because I believe it gives the most flexibility. I found that many of the engines that require no programming are simply "editors" and as such don't give the ability to add features or any type of "uniqueness" to the game. This is merely my findings, I am not saying that all the engines out there are like this.

Anyway, I'm going to stop typing for the time being, I've been on duty for god knows how long and my spelling etc is going to hell.
02-27-2013 10:44 AM
Rubeus Offline

That is the key: flexibility. As far as I'm concerned, Esenthel is one of the best engines around for both flexibility and learning. Even if one starts with a multiplayer game, it's an incredible learning experience no matter what the situation.
Even if someone comes to Esenthel looking to make an AAA MMO that makes millions for their first game, it's still a good learning experience. And for the cost of Esenthel, it's well worth it.
jwilde, making a multiplayer game does complicate matters and make things more difficult, but I say "Good luck!", and thank you for serving your country.
02-27-2013 02:45 PM
fatcoder Offline

(02-27-2013 02:11 AM)aceio76 Wrote:  Oh wow! fatcoder is a EE licensed dev!!

I know, I've been so used to seeing "Member" under my name for the past 3 years that it just doesn't look right now. Greg's little price rise forced my hand. lol
02-27-2013 02:50 PM