About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Hello from Sweden
rstralberg Offline

Hello from Sweden
Hi all.

I'm coming to Essenthel from Leadwerks and hope this will be a joyful experience. I work during daytime as a C++ developer at a Swedish Development company in the communications area, but when I come home its Game Development that rules. So this is my hobby.

Although I have some little 3D art experience, I'm best skilled in C++ programming, which makes Essenthel a natural choice. So said and done. I know have bought a license and its time to get started with the learning process.

I'm not any kid as I'm 59 years young. But the game development area and interest is for all ages smile Lives in the very north of Sweden, is married and have 3 child's ( .. the are grown ups really ) and 4 dogs.

I have together we some very good friends been working on a little game called SCOT (Seventh Crystal of Theia) using the Leadwerks Engine, but have decided to move this over to Essenthel. We have a web-page which is empty more or less at this moment and will be until fist level is done, anyway its at ScotGame.

Think that's all there is to say at the moment.
Glad to be a member here.

Roland

My Blog is at http://mrstralberg.blogspot.se.
Chat account Skype (rstralberg)
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 11:02 AM by rstralberg.)
02-27-2013 10:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wh1ps3r Offline

RE: Hello from Sweden
Hi grin you too ? hehe
02-27-2013 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rstralberg Offline

Yes indeed Whisper... who could have guessed smile

02-27-2013 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

Stupid question, but I would love to know what attracted you Leadwerks users, or any of you to move to Esenthel : ) I bet the developer of the engine would love to know as well.
02-27-2013 11:05 AM
wh1ps3r Offline

i have heard, developer of this engine is very friendly and helpfull, also, version 2.0 looks nice and that's a plus.
02-27-2013 11:08 AM
gwald Offline

Welcome Roland grin
wow another one from LE! gees
I think LE v3 license is going up to 1k, not 100% tho.

I don't know how people can program by day and then code at night.. ouch! lol
I tried it for a while, couldn't focus at night...

All the best with your game, looks pretty cool!
Anyway, welcome again

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 11:14 AM by gwald.)
02-27-2013 11:13 AM
knocks Offline

Looks like the cats out of the bag.
02-27-2013 12:33 PM
Scarlet Thread Offline

Haha wow this is really a mass exodus... I swear I didn't plan this guys
02-27-2013 01:35 PM
rstralberg Offline

hahaha Ken.. We love you so much that we could not leave you alone here grin

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 02:03 PM by rstralberg.)
02-27-2013 01:40 PM
Donik Offline

So many ppl from LE, i wonder what draw us here grin
02-27-2013 01:55 PM
Scarlet Thread Offline

(02-27-2013 11:05 AM)Zervox Wrote:  Stupid question, but I would love to know what attracted you Leadwerks users, or any of you to move to Esenthel : ) I bet the developer of the engine would love to know as well.

Hi Zervox,

This mass exodus started around 2 months ago when myself and Donik (who is rather silent on the forum) pre-determined the impending doom of Leadwerks. After looking into the features of EE it seemed too good to be true but the fact that it only cost $99 meant there was not much to lose.

Following the next week or 2 Donik and myself simply marveled at how advanced EE was in comparison to LE. I had been talking to a lot of people on LE about Esenthel in private chat and now that the cost of LE3 was announced a lot of people started asking me where I went.. so I told them.

So that's the history.. Now to what I love about EE so far.

This engine just takes away the vast majority of mundane generic coding tasks that are often needed and allows you to focus on your game. I think that's the essence of it. Also a lot of us are C++ programmers so the fact that EE was nativly C++ was great. I personally hate scripting so I really liked that EE doesn't have any and doesn't need any due to object classes.

LE3 was promising multi-platform development in C++ and claiming that they would be the first to do it... So now that I found EE actually did it before them, things started to become clearer. It is great how easy the multi - platform aspect of this engine is so easy to manage.

The art pipeline is very good as well in EE2.0.. just drag and drop everything... fantastic.. I love how you can also drag assets into your code... genius. Us LE2.5 users are used to a painstakingly long process of converting assets. LE3 was going to change this and the creator even stated that it was the "best" pipeline ever... which was rubbish because I was in the LE3 beta and it was no better than EE... so that was a big ++ for me.

Another thing that I like about EE is that it has both high end renderer for PC and low end for mobile. What was happening in LE was the high end was being sacrificed and promised for later releases... that made a lot of people not so happy. But with both options in EE... it's a no brainer for me.

The terrain system is fantastic as well as the pathfinding and such. I really love how the engine gives me a lot of things already done (such as a music manager) but doesn't restrict me in doing so. In other words I don't have to use said music manager if I don't want to... I can make my own if I want to... for example.

I love how you have a lot of control over the rendering of individual objects. Don't have that in many engines.

Personally I think the most awesome feature about EE is the object classes. It essentially allows me to carry out Data Driven Design without ever having to touch SQLite. It also allows me get all the benefits + more of scripting without the problems encountered with scripting like the awkward interface between the script and the code.

I have also so far been pleased with Esenthel's response time to questions and bug fixes... These often used to take 6 months to happen in LE.

I think the only thing I have concerns about in EE is the lack of hardware instancing and advanced occlusions culling. These are things we are used to having in LE. However, I see they are on the roadmap so that's good at least. Luckily my game is generally top down so it doesn't effect me much.

I really do find it hard to nail down what I like about EE. There is just so much to like from what I've seen in the time I've been here. In less than 2 months I've nearly surpassed the level that my game was up to in LE which I had been working on for 8 months prior.. Now that is fast valuable development time there. Not to mention I had to learn from scratch in those 2 months and develop my game at the same time.

So I am really only talking for myself when I say.... besides no hardware instancing and advanced occlusion culling, what's not to like.

I have to say that EE + Occlusions Culling + Hardware Instancing + CSG editor = my dream engine.
02-27-2013 01:58 PM
Ecco Offline

..hey Roland...hereee you areee wink hehehehe..nice to see ya guys here smile this is going to be fun smile
02-27-2013 02:11 PM
fallingbrickwork Offline

Well Mr Stralberg et al, here you all are! I'm going to have a good look around this engine and see what it has to offer.

Looks great so far!

- Matt.
02-27-2013 02:19 PM
rstralberg Offline

To say the least... I'm so happy to see so many old (and new) friends here. This will be so fun grin

02-27-2013 02:21 PM
knocks Offline

I'm sure you guys wont be disappointed. Its a great tool set and Esenthel's support is a true asset.
02-27-2013 02:27 PM