About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Maximum number of Lights in Esenthel 2.0 ?
Juggernaut Offline

Maximum number of Lights in Esenthel 2.0 ?
Hello Esenthel,

Is there any limitation on the number of lights ( with soft shadows enabled ) I can use in my level while using the deferred render-er in Esenthel 2.0 ? Is there any average value on this to which I must adhere to before the frame rate drops to an un-playable rate ?

Thanks,
02-28-2013 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

RE: Maximun number of Lights in Esenthel 2.0 ?
Not really. You're only limited by the hardware. The engine has no upper limit I'm aware of. I know I've had scenes with hundreds of lights. In saying that, I don't use shadowing for all those lights. As long as you keep shadows turned off for as many lights as possible, you can have a lot in a scene.

On a side note, 1.0 and 2.0 are the same engine. It is just an updated version of the tools. Not the engine. Too many people get this mixed up. So, in this instance, your question is related to the engine, not the tools.
03-01-2013 01:38 AM
Juggernaut Offline

(03-01-2013 01:38 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  Not really. You're only limited by the hardware. The engine has no upper limit I'm aware of. I know I've had scenes with hundreds of lights. In saying that, I don't use shadowing for all those lights. As long as you keep shadows turned off for as many lights as possible, you can have a lot in a scene.

On a side note, 1.0 and 2.0 are the same engine. It is just an updated version of the tools. Not the engine. Too many people get this mixed up. So, in this instance, your question is related to the engine, not the tools.

Limited by the hardware ? That means I can have maximum of 8 simultaneously visible lights in my level ?
I thought deferred render-er allows to have large number of lights all visible simultaneously at the same time.

Esenthel 2.0 may be the same engine internally but I see some Physics features cut down that were available in version 1.0 like interactive cloth physics, destroy-able objects etc.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I have only skimmed over the surface of Esenthel 2.0
03-01-2013 12:26 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:That means I can have maximum of 8 simultaneously visible lights in my level ?
No, fatcoder only meant that depending on what kind if hardware you have, you will achieve different performance depending on amount of lights smile
There are no limit to lights in the engine (the only exception is simple renderer that supports only 1 directional light).

Quote:Esenthel 2.0 may be the same engine internally but I see some Physics features cut down that were available in version 1.0 like interactive cloth physics, destroy-able objects etc.
You can do destructible objects in 2.0, the same goes for cloth. Cloth is not "officially" yet supported just becase 2.0 uses PhysX 3 which has cloth made to work totally differently, and I haven't yet made a complete tutorial to present it or not made it to be creatable from the Editor level, but you can do it through codes.
03-01-2013 01:12 PM
Juggernaut Offline

Oh, I see. Thank you Esenthel, for clearing up the confusion. smile

I will be eagerly wait for complete set of tutorials from you - better if do videos like you did for Esenthel 1.0. It will be a boon for newcomers.
03-01-2013 01:59 PM