Poll: Is this a good idea?
That's a great idea - I would donate
That's a good idea but I wouldn't donate
I don't think it's a good idea
[Show Results]

Question about Crowdfunding - Donation system
Ecco Offline

RE: Question about Crowdfunding - Donation system
..i personally think, its good idea..im just not sure what exact model of crow funding to take and how it will reflect on to those who did support product...as a matter a fact, Ill be glad to pay straightforward for some feature i really need, fast as possible..again, its all depends on how it is organized..
03-02-2013 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rollcage Offline

Just to add some more feedback.
I think an expected time of completion for a successful roadmap item would be required. So if the funding targets are met this feature can be expected in... this much time. Also when the funding is met the item goes somewhere where everyone can see what currently has the 1st priority. It brings up another issue.

Will there be the current roadmap that you will be working on regardless and then this crowdfunding roadmap that takes priority when an item reaches its funding. When it is complete then you go back to working on the roadmap in it's current order

EDIT: I think the delivery date for a successful item is the only reward people who contribute need. (apart from forum titles or whatever)
If you say once this item is funded it will be delivered in approx: 6 weeks then I think many people will be encouraged to donate towards a feature they would want. Just keep people up to date via the news forum and then any delays in delivery you can communicate there and show progress smile.

IN CONCLUSION: Provide a timeframe for feature completion once funding is met. This is the only reward people need
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 03:16 AM by Rollcage.)
03-03-2013 03:13 AM
Ogniok Offline

I think crowdfunding for features is a very good idea. I will donate for sure some money to get some roadmap features ASAP. grin
03-03-2013 10:29 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thank you for the feedback, I've created a poll for most wanted features in this thread - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...8#pid37348
Please cast your votes.

Quote:Provide a timeframe for feature completion once funding is met.
Simple elements can take from 0 to couple of days.
More Complex elements can take up to a month.
If more time is needed I will post more information about it.
Yes, for development of complex features I'll definitely be posting updates on the progress smile Posting screens and getting feedback is always motivating.

After further thinking about it I've decided that contributing to roadmap elements will not bring other perks, except the ability to have that feature as soon as possible.
(Why no t-shirts - because organizing them + sending via mail would take too much of my time, and instead of bringing features faster, it would slow it down. Why not list members who have contributed into some list/engine header - because this is not sponsoring, this is a normal transaction where you pay for having a feature in first priority, the only exception is that you share cost of the feature with other members). The only thing I was considering is whether to add some form of badge, like new "User Group" for members on the Forum, however there are already 2 groups (regular user + licensed developer), adding new groups would make it to 4 in total and would look weird (regular user, contributing user, licensed user, licensed contributor, lol.. I don't want to make a mess on the forum).
03-04-2013 06:08 PM
Tottel Offline

Agreed. I think the perks would be quite useless. Besides, you want to use the money to improve the engine (and live your life), not spend it on buying us t-shirts...

Anyway, voted in the poll. Looks good. smile
03-04-2013 06:38 PM
Flexman Offline

Agreed. We don't need t-shirts, we need features to make our games look good and run fast smile
03-05-2013 06:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Revek Offline

Sell your video tutorials for crowd funding, I would def buy that.
03-05-2013 07:42 PM
Dalmat Offline

ummm.. can we at least have hats? smile
03-06-2013 12:16 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Haha, maybe Harry Potter style wizard hats that grant you wishes?
03-06-2013 12:21 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Many thanks everyone, finally I've finished the priority things that I wanted to develop, and just now I have opened some of the elements to the store so people can contribute to their priority development.

I've updated 1st post in this thread, with rules how this will work (if you're thinking of contributing then please read the rules first).

For now I've only added those elements to the store that don't require significant research prior to their development, so we will see how it goes first.

In time I will be adding more features to the Store.

At the moment I've already started working on "•grass/tree painting (with slope limit for placing objects using object brush)" from the Roadmap, so elements from the Store will be selected for the top priority after I finish grass/tree painting.

Because the system is new, I reserve the right to adjust the prices (goal amount) for the Store elements during next few days.

Please let me know about any comments/feedback or issues with the Store Contributions.

Thank you smile
03-20-2013 05:52 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Many thanks to the first contributor smile
03-20-2013 06:39 PM
Tottel Offline

Weeeee! You're welcome. grin
03-20-2013 06:43 PM
candam Offline

smile So nice to know that I wish to get money soon to contribute to support the engine that's what we have to do please Greg take a look at my message Any answer would be appreciated smile
03-20-2013 09:25 PM
gdalex Offline

I'm okay with countributing to feature, my first one will be documentations.
Yet I fear that, according to the request poll you made I'll have to wait a little while to see the feature I expect in the store smile
03-20-2013 11:41 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Hey Esenthel,

Glad you were able to get this up. I contributed to my top 2 but my biggest on is not there :( . If you add "More Source Code Examples" I would certainly contribute to that!
03-20-2013 11:48 PM